A- install some 03-04 cobra cams
B- install 04 cobra heads with 04 cobra cams
or
C- install 04 cobra heads with my 04 mach 1 cams

what are the specs on the 04 cobra and 04 mach 1 heads

what do yo uthink would give me more power

snkevenom

Established Member
they are its the same heads and i think cams might have a slight smaller lift on the 04 since it had the blower

mysticalsnake

Established Member
even if the mach's cams are a tad bit shorter lift, go look at the Ford GT cam set up. a lot of terminator guys were happy with the power gain and i would guess you would get the same gain out of it. It won't have any type of lope at idle but several 4v motors that have the lope aren't getting any power from it hardly either

Defknotzero

Established Member
even if the mach's cams are a tad bit shorter lift, go look at the Ford GT cam set up. a lot of terminator guys were happy with the power gain and i would guess you would get the same gain out of it. It won't have any type of lope at idle but several 4v motors that have the lope aren't getting any power from it hardly either

+1

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I would not feel that would be a step up.,., maybe a step over.,., either way, no one thinks its worth the money :( so if you had to do it., FORD GT cams ftw

GodStang

Established Member
What are your mods? Swapping from Cobra heads are the same as Mach 1 heads and I think the cams are almost identical. A cam swap alone is $2500+ not counting the cams. Going to Ford GT cams is a huge huge waste if the engine is not already apart. You do not see much gains from them unless you are highly boosted and even then its not alot. If you were to do cams then look at custom ground you will get the best results from them and as far as heads do P&P Jan 05 heads.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What are your mods? Swapping from Cobra heads are the same as Mach 1 heads and I think the cams are almost identical. A cam swap alone is $2500+ not counting the cams. Going to Ford GT cams is a huge huge waste if the engine is not already apart. You do not see much gains from them unless you are highly boosted and even then its not alot. If you were to do cams then look at custom ground you will get the best results from them and as far as heads do P&P Jan 05 heads.

There are a lot better "bang for your buck" performance upgrades, other than cams, when you have a near-stock setup.

Cams, in my opinion, are like the "icing on the cake" mod. After you have made other upgrades such as a blower, nitrous, intake, exhaust, porting, etc.. THEN choose what kind of cams to get based on those mods. They are a bit like a "mechanical tune".

Regardless, i'd go with an aftermarket grind, rather than cams from some other modular motor.

Is labor really like 2500 bucks?? That can't be!

Homer

GodStang

Established Member
There are a lot better "bang for your buck" performance upgrades, other than cams, when you have a near-stock setup.

Cams, in my opinion, are like the "icing on the cake" mod. After you have made other upgrades such as a blower, nitrous, intake, exhaust, porting, etc.. THEN choose what kind of cams to get based on those mods. They are a bit like a "mechanical tune".

Regardless, i'd go with an aftermarket grind, rather than cams from some other modular motor.

Is labor really like 2500 bucks?? That can't be!

Homer

The Avg. cost is around $2500 for install alone. You have to remove a bit of stuff to get the valve covers, even more stuff to remove all 4 cams. Its alot involved. Alot say the easiest way is to yank the engine. $$$$

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I knew it was expensive, but that's ridiculous. I was thinking something around a grand.

Even for 1000 bucks (much less $2,500) I probably wouldn't upgrade cams unless the motor was already out for a rebuild/upgrade.

-Homer

mysticalsnake

Established Member
i was gonna come back and say if it's a stock Mach1 and you're just looking for some good gains per dollar at the track to do a certain few things...but judging by your HP/TQ numbers then cams may be your last stop short of going turbo and making huge power. If your motor isn't fully built yet, you may want to look into that and if you really want then the cams upgrade while it's being built, but that's still some cash to shell out for that

Users who are viewing this thread