Cams????

screaminsnake01

LS1poo
Established Member
Hey guys im thinking about buying cams for the snake. What does everyone recommend. Far as I have seen there is Crower and Comp Cams. let me know thanks

Greg

ptrfree

The problem cobra
Established Member
I had the crower stage three's and they sux IMHO! Give leathal parformance a yell, they have there own grinds, I have no experiance with them, but suppose to be good quality.
Lee

screaminsnake01

LS1poo
Established Member
ptrfree said:
I had the crower stage three's and they sux IMHO! Give leathal parformance a yell, they have there own grinds, I have no experiance with them, but suppose to be good quality.
Lee
how did they suck? Yeah i know Jared for lethal. I dont know nothing about cams lol thanks for info

GodStang

Established Member
I have Crower and love them but the latest greatest are the new Comp Cams. For the money I do not think either are worth it unless you have the eninge apart already.

WDW MKR

Established Member
screaminsnake01 said:
Im just looking for a lil more horse with my eaton and cams is the next thing

The next thing should be more boost, long tube headers, or spray. I would not recommend cams for anyone not already tearing into the engine or replacing their heads with the Jan05 units. With that said, I installed Crower Stage III sticks in my new heads. I'm still putting break-in miles on everything, so I can't comment on the gains. I can say that the idle issues are easy to work out in the tune, and that I haven't experienced any IAT2 numbers that different from non-cammed reports... definitely not anything like those that reported IAT2 at the 180* F level as a result of reversion.

Last edited:

ptrfree

The problem cobra
Established Member
definitely not anything like those that reported IAT2 at the 180* F level as a result of reversion.

I would of been one of those people, and tuning issues that you would not beleive. The high IAT2 temps cause the computer to pull timing which made issues with the drivability. My experiance was horrable. I installed the stock cams and all the problems dissapeared. The one thing I will say is they sounded awsome.
Lee

WDW MKR

Established Member
Sorry for your troubles, Lee. I was pleasantly surprised to see my IAT2 in the 120-130 range on a warm day. That was at idle, which seems to be where the problems show up.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Didn't see your sig... bump the shot to 100 or 150. What times are you running with your current combo? You could probably see more gain from addressing traction and/or suspension issues. Engine cooling mods should also be very high on your list. I just wouldn't dive into a cam swap w/out at least upgrading to the Jan05 heads. It's one of those mods you save until building the engine. JMHO.

If you're set on getting them, then call Jared @ Lethal.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
The gains are not as great Vs. the cost to buy/install. I have purchased Crower and Comp and the quality sucked on both, flat spots ect... Not a "bolt on part" if you know what I mean. I agree with Ike, unless you are puting on the new heads (I did) not woth getting into. I personaly would throw more boost and juice to it also more cooling, before I got the cams on a Eaton. With my KB @ 17psi the power band dosent start to come in untill 3500-4000 RPM, so that is also a problem as the Eaton starts to give up boost soon after that. I got mine from Lethal, at a smokin deal...

WDW MKR

Established Member
The engine cooling mods: Evans water inlet, Evans relocated thermostat, Fluidyne or LFP radiator, external oil cooler w/ thermostat, remote oil filter mount.

lthlsnake

U like spike strips? I do
Established Member
Damn i didnt know about the Evans water inlet, Evans relocated thermostat,external oil cooler w/ thermostat, remote oil filter mount

crazydave

Established Member
cobra

ptrfree said:
Lee
hey i might do the cams ?

mustangmike01

Established Member
I'm in the middel of building a 03 cobra motor. I left the the 03 heads on, I did not get the new once. I parted the heads and changed all the parts in the heads, too. But I stayed with the stock cams. I heard to many problems with cams on the 03 and 04 motors.

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
for the price of cams + install...you could sell you ported eaton + spray kit and use the money towards a whipple and get alot better power gains

Users who are viewing this thread