Cams with stock tc

flip_86

Established Member
Is changing cams wourth while if keeping the stock torque converter? Is there that much to gain by going with a higher stall converter that would allow for bigger cams? This is for a daily driver. I realize it would make more power i just wouldnt want to do cams and then be disappointed i didn't get a converter and go bigger

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Cam selection is base off of a few things. Cylinder head flow rate, final drive gear ratio and converter stall are pretty much the three
biggest factors to consider for cam selection. Can you? Yes. Is the best option? Not really.

SickSinicFab

Most cams now days have a recommended stall and rear end gear. If the motor is together and all you are doing is upgrading the cams it's not the best use of money. If the motor is already out, its a good mod.
The stall is more for getting you in the rpm which the cam likes. I have custom grinds (essentially stage 2) and in my old trucks I've used comp stage 2 cams with the stock converter with no problems.
The more power you make the more you should think about changing the convert anyway.

flip_86

Established Member
The motor is coming out this winter to freshen up, i'd really like to do cams but the list adds up. Cams, valve springs, would be nice to get some porting done, torque coverter. I'm in canada, the exchange rate is terrible on my end, with the exchange rate and tax once it crosses the boarder i'm adding 40% on anything i buy. Might have to just stick with the rebuild for now.

4a7191a

Established Member
Think the comp stage ones can run stock tc.
Call up Houston performance. They have a custom grind I think that can run the stock tc that's a bit more aggressive than a stage one and more lift. But can still run stock springs.

flip_86

Established Member
Gt500 rods, otherwise stock, i think i might get some arp hardware for the bottom end. I'll have the block checked out, if it needs to be bored than i'll be looking at pistons.

flip_86

Established Member
Sure a nice forged rotating assembly would be best, almost indestructible. I haven't found a documented stock crank or piston failure and there are many gt500s surpassing 700hp on stock rods. I am comfortable with trying to reach a 550-600hp goal wih them.

Dusten

Established Member
Sure a nice forged rotating assembly would be best, almost indestructible. I haven't found a documented stock crank or piston failure and there are many gt500s surpassing 700hp on stock rods. I am comfortable with trying to reach a 550-600hp goal wih them.
I mean machine work on the block, good hardware...

flip_86

Established Member
Oh, ya, i have a reputable engine builder near by that will check the block and at least hone it, arp rod and main bolts, maybe head studs

Dusten

Established Member
I wouldn't "maybe head studs" spend the 200-300 and do it right, or you'll spend money to do it again later.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
If you're putting head studs in... spend the $450 and get the better ARP studs. The cheaper ones are not much better than stock bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread