Cams On A Blown Car?

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
There is always talk about this, but who has done it? Do you have before and after numbers? I know GT500 boys do it and have some pretty good gains, I'm talkin Coyotes here.....

nowwhat

Established Member
I was wondering this as well. It would like to hear from those who have comp stg III's and then installed a charger.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
I wanted to put cams on my turbo build, but my tuner insisted it's just not worth it. You gain maybe 20-30rwhp on top end, but lose drive ability and gas mileage.

His answer to 20-30rwhp more... more boost.

cb900f

Established Member
I wanted to put cams on my turbo build, but my tuner insisted it's just not worth it. You gain maybe 20-30rwhp on top end, but lose drive ability and gas mileage.

His answer to 20-30rwhp more... more boost.
This.... easier and better to pulley down/increase boost. FI cars do not like overlap.

prn1972

Established Member
I have L&M Engines custom blower cams. In the process of putting the motor together. Also doing away with the vct. Using MMR phaser deletes & MMR valve springs. Changing alot of things so will not have a before & after.
5383bcc0975c3a0329deb91cdc6b3a05.jpg
61dfbaf58ab64404ce1f9567c5daef38.jpg
16e43933881a01e552e07d22204f8b1f.jpg

cb900f

Established Member
I ran the Boss exhaust cams with the Whipple. Didn't really make much difference.
Exactly.

N/A motors need overlap to increase performance. If you add overlap in a F/I situation you loose boost.
If you setup the VCT to not have overlap all you are doing is giving more lift. (Higher chance of achieving maximum boost, which unless you are pushing HUGE boost it doesn't make a difference. Exhaust side does help but not tremendous on a supercharged situation.)

NickSezz

Established Member
We do a custom set of cams on 2013-2014 S/C Coyote Cobra Jet cars that pick up about 100whp...We run them locked out and degree them in as well since they are an aggressive cam.

In short, yes there are big gains to be had with custom cams but most Supercharged/Turbo Coyote cars can max out their stock fuel system and motor without them. Cams like what we offer our Cobra Jet customers should be looked into by those who want the very most out of a fully built setup.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Exactly.

N/A motors need overlap to increase performance. If you add overlap in a F/I situation you loose boost.
If you setup the VCT to not have overlap all you are doing is giving more lift. (Higher chance of achieving maximum boost, which unless you are pushing HUGE boost it doesn't make a difference. Exhaust side does help but not tremendous on a supercharged situation.)

There's a lot more to maximizing a cam for a motor than just adding over lap. The cams available also have more duration, more lift and different opening/closing events. If you want to maximize your setup, absolutely add a set of cams, just as Nick suggested. It depends on what your goals are as if you are still running a stock short block, you can make enough power just slapping a blower on and still running pump gas to put the rods through the block.

cb900f

Established Member
There's a lot more to maximizing a cam for a motor than just adding over lap. The cams available also have more duration, more lift and different opening/closing events. If you want to maximize your setup, absolutely add a set of cams, just as Nick suggested. It depends on what your goals are as if you are still running a stock short block, you can make enough power just slapping a blower on and still running pump gas to put the rods through the block.
Soooo. Did I say something wrong with regards to a supercharged situation? Or are we just flopping them out on the table to see whose is bigger?

In a FI situation overlap is one of the most critical points to get right. Which is why I was stressing this. You can't just slap in any set of cams in hoping to gain power.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
We do a custom set of cams on 2013-2014 S/C Coyote Cobra Jet cars that pick up about 100whp...We run them locked out and degree them in as well since they are an aggressive cam.

In short, yes there are big gains to be had with custom cams but most Supercharged/Turbo Coyote cars can max out their stock fuel system and motor without them. Cams like what we offer our Cobra Jet customers should be looked into by those who want the very most out of a fully built setup.

Those cams significantly hurt drive-ability, gas mileage etc.?

My goal was to build a 1200+rwhp car that still drove like stock on the highway/around town.

NickSezz

Established Member
Those cams significantly hurt drive-ability, gas mileage etc.?

My goal was to build a 1200+rwhp car that still drove like stock on the highway/around town.

We have not tried them on a "street car" yet so I cannot comment on what they would exactly be like. Since they are a lock out style cam grind it really depends on how they are degreed in. For an N/A car the grind we use may be rough for a street car do to the overlap needed to gain power. We use the same big cams on supercharged cars but degree them in differently. Degreeing the cams is the critical part to this job and the reason why not many are doing it.

We are in the beginning stages of moving our R&D from the CJ cars over to a street able application that is easier to install similar to what we did on our JDM Super Stock Cams for the Shelby GT500. Our GT500 cams drive great, make great power and sound incredible. This is the same goal we have for Coyotes.

Users who are viewing this thread