Cam's Mystic Cobra Build Thread

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've been hanging around here on and off since I bought my car in late 2011 (December 29, 2011, to be exact), and save for a dyno day, a car show, and a few trips to the strip, I've been pretty quiet. I've decided to give my Cobra top priority among my projects this year, and after spending the last two years researching my options, I've decided that I know what direction I'm going in with my car, and I've started ordering parts in preparation for springtime. With that said, here's a picture of our starting point:

cobraatdragstrip.jpg

It's Mystic Cobra #683, originally exported to Canada and owned by the president of the Royal Bank of Canada before coming over the border sometime in the year 2000. Mine has 64k miles (kilometers?) and is stock save for Steeda underdrive pulleys. The Mystic Cobra was my dream car when I was 8, and the only one I'd ever seen in person lived a few streets away from me, and I would occasionally see it in the driveway on summer days getting washed. When I was 22 years old, I was diagnosed with a heart condition called SVT, short for supraventriculartachycardia. One day, on my way to see my doctor, I saw this car for sale at a dealership that belonged to a family friend. Unfortunately, they were on vacation, but the day they got returned, I came back, test drove the car, and made an offer. It was the week before New Year's, and there were several inches of snow on the ground. After purchasing the car, a friend and I drove down to Summit Racing in Tallmadge in a snowstorm. Later that night, going over the stack of documentation about the car's history, I realized that my Mystic Cobra was the same one I'd seen as a child. Years later, I would return to Summit...

qrhb.jpg

And come home with some goodies for the car...

vlnz.jpg

A few days later, more parts from Steeda would arrive...

u6lk.jpg

Followed shortly by the all-important finishing touch to my forthcoming wheel & tire setup...

j4uc.jpg

That gets us pretty much up to date. I'll post more information and a complete plan of attack later; for now I have to deliver a car to Dayton.

Last edited:

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Hit me up. I also live in Cleveland. Someone brought you up to me at the track one day. A girl.

Lizz? She's my best friend's fiancee. :beer: She told me about you as well; sorry we haven't had a chance to hang out yet! I was distracted by other projects last year.

Thats a pretty cool story, I am going to follow this one. Hey fellow mystic guy.

Hey thanks!

I guess now is as good a time as any to outline my goals with the car this year...

-Get a shop so I can keep the car indoors again
-Take care of basic maintenance and fix a few electrical issues
-Repaint the front bumper and polish out the rest of the car
-Get it lowered on new wheels & rubber
-Fix a small tear in the driver's seat and personalize the interior a bit
-Coil-on-plug conversion
-Bolt-ons: exhaust, gears, shifter, etc.
-Get into the 13s, win a few shows, and most importantly, just enjoy the damn thing

Last edited:

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
I haven't dealt with a damaged engine yet but I have dealt with cooling problems and harsh vibrations through out the rpm range on multiple mod motor cars. Once they were returned to stock pulleys all problems went away. These problems were on customer cars not my personal ones. Just sharing my experiences with them.

Users who are viewing this thread