Cams 07-09 guys

MoneyAMG

Established Member
How many of you guys are running cams? I'm in the process of going full bolt ons before upgrading to the TVS blower from 13/14 Shelby's. Just want to know how you guys feel about cams in your gt500 and which would you recommend. Thanks guysguys

fullboogie

Established Member
I've not done it. But I think the general consensus is that if you are willing to spend the coin, they sound great and make lots of power. It's just very expensive to go this route for the average guy.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I've got MMR stage 3 cams and I like them a lot. Great sound and they breath very well. So much so that at max RPM my boost drops off 3 psi, from 16 down to 13 lbs. Without out cams on the same setup I was seeing around 18 lbs steady. (full bolt-ons, 2.6 and 10%)
I would only do it if you were building your motor because of the labor involved. If your building some of that labor overlaps. Still kinda pricey because you still might need new valve springs etc. depending on the cams.

MoneyAMG

Established Member
I've got MMR stage 3 cams and I like them a lot. Great sound and they breath very well. So much so that at max RPM my boost drops off 3 psi, from 16 down to 13 lbs. Without out cams on the same setup I was seeing around 18 lbs steady. (full bolt-ons, 2.6 and 10%)
I would only do it if you were building your motor because of the labor involved. If your building some of that labor overlaps. Still kinda pricey because you still might need new valve springs etc. depending on the cams.

So did MMR also build your motor? How much power would you expect for cams to mand with stock blower

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
So did MMR also build your motor? How much power would you expect for cams to mand with stock blower

MMR built the short block. I believe they claim 30-50 but don't quote me on that. I don't have a reference for mine since I added compression and cubes with the cams. I also failed to mention that my motor is now a 5.8L

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
If you do small lift cams without springs, both materials and labor is around 1/2. That's my most recent mod.

I need to get a better sound recorder but check out the video before tune. Go to the end when the car warms up.

[youtube_browser]f5u1AWzkdqw[/youtube_browser]

nxhappy

Established Member
30-40ish WHP is what it should gain. Not worth the money IMO...

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I now have 1 degree less timing than before cams. Cams and injectors always require a re-tune which was done by Lund (again). I also am achieving the new power with less boost. It was 742 with 20.5 PSI on stock injectors and cams. Now it is 843 with 19.5 PSI on 72# injectors and race fuel. In both cases, injector duty cycle was fine. The torque curve is much better now and is what gets me down the track so much faster. I'll be going back to the track to make a few passes on the 19.5# pulley which got me .25 seconds better before cams. I'm hoping for a 9.68....

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
If you do small lift cams without springs, both materials and labor is around 1/2. That's my most recent mod.

I need to get a better sound recorder but check out the video before tune. Go to the end when the car warms up.

[youtube_browser]f5u1AWzkdqw[/youtube_browser]

Clappety, Clap...........I Love It!!

I tried to find B.A. Performance Cams on Google and didn't find anything........what cams are these?

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread