Cammed LS1 SS goes down

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
ran a cammed '99 Camaro LS1 6spd w/full exhuast, CAI, Tune and TSP Torquer 2 cam (232/234 .595/.598 112 LSA). Gave him a full car head start from a low 5mph roll. well once i got in 2nd, i pulled back hard and before i could even get in third, i was already going past him. my mods: '02 C5 6spd LS1 w/full exhaust, CAI, patriot cam (226/226 .585/.585 112LSA), and NO Tune.
I'm getting my car tuned tomorrow morning, i can't wait to see what i make?

ChrisUlrich

Metallica
Established Member
Now i'm not one for making arguements over this kind of crap but how the hell? He's definitely making a crapload more power then you... bigger cam, tune... (i'm assuming anyway). I mean it's definitely possible. He must of have NO traction or cannot drive worth a damn. 1 full car? More power?

Before flaming starts... LS1 Vettes/F-Bodies are very similar stock-stock... so i'd imagine modded vs. modded would be very close as well, assuming mods were similar. In this case, they are... but the F Body clearly has a bigger cam and by the "NO TUNE" statement. I would imagine the F Body was tuned... he should be around 370-390whp!

I'm not rewriting all of this but... I just noticed he put down the F Body was tuned. Sorry

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
weight wise, he might be down 200lbs on the SS, up to maybe 300 on the high end.. i still would like to think that SS would have put up a better fight.. given that its cam is abit larger and fully tuned.

for the vette to pull that hard after giving a FULL car length headstart, you gotta be packin some serious fire power.. which the 226 cam and no tune isnt what i'd call serious

but good kill none the less... your car sounds very strong

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
Stewart said:
They are power wise but not weight wise.
Even so it definatley sound's like driver error that won the race. The SS should have been putting down anywhere from 390-410rwhp with that kind of setup. Sure the Vette could also have been making near 400rwhp also but less likely so. Also a fully loaded Corvette isn't really that much lighter, certainly not enough to offer a pasting using only 1 gear while also giving the SS a full car lead.

Good kill, but somethings amiss.

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
with a 1/4 tank, my car weighs about 3180lbs. yes, the SS has a bigger cam, but bigger is not always better. i don't think he's making a CRAPLOAD more power than me. i think he's making more up top definately due to his bigger stick, but i think im making more down low and midrange and with my weight advantage he would at least need gears to overcome the difference. im a damn good driver also.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
ChrisUlrich said:
In this case, they are... but the F Body clearly has a bigger cam and by the "NO TUNE" statement. I would imagine the F Body was tuned... he should be around 370-390whp!

Heck, I have a buddy with similar mods as the SS but has a 228/228 - .576/.576 with 112 LSA which is smaller then this guys cam and he made 390rwhp. This SS had to have 400rwhp . . . The weight would have been worh 30hp is the difference was 300 lbs. I think that driver error had a little to do with it.

Good run non the less!

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
got dyno'd and tuned. b4 tune i made 391rwhp 368rwtq and after dyno tune, i made 407rwhp 370rwtq. i talked to that SS driver, he is making 384rwhp with his torquer 2, but his mistake is he is running an LS1 intake instead of an LS6. i told him if he had an LS6 intake, he would make 15-20rwhp more with his setup.

Ryan00TJ

Established Member
Yeah he would be choking that cam pretty badly with a stock LS1 intake. Running a big cam like the TorquerII is worthless w/o a set of 4.10's anyway. Nice Kill!

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
C5_z51_6spd said:
got dyno'd and tuned. b4 tune i made 391rwhp 368rwtq and after dyno tune, i made 407rwhp 370rwtq. i talked to that SS driver, he is making 384rwhp with his torquer 2, but his mistake is he is running an LS1 intake instead of an LS6. i told him if he had an LS6 intake, he would make 15-20rwhp more with his setup.

Sounds about right! Your Vette makes nice power for that size cam!

QuikGT

Banned
hmmm.im skeptical...my buddy has a ta with the same cam as you....he put down 381/370 with tune and he also still has 3.42s with full boltons.... on the contrary my h/c/i car (with the same cam as the other guy) puts down 448 with the stock rev limiter at 6200....that cam he has makes good midrange power also btw....im saying there had to be driver error in that race.....but none the less...good kill

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
QuikGT said:
hmmm.im skeptical...my buddy has a ta with the same cam as you....he put down 381/370 with tune and he also still has 3.42s with full boltons.... on the contrary my h/c/i car (with the same cam as the other guy) puts down 448 with the stock rev limiter at 6200....that cam he has makes good midrange power also btw....im saying there had to be driver error in that race.....but none the less...good kill

that guy is still using the stock LS1 intake. and your buddy is probably making 448 w/ aftermarket heads with that torquer 2 cam. this camaro was a cam only camaro w/ the torquer 2 w/stock LS1 heads and LS1 intake making 384. ususlly torquer 2 cam only LS1 camaros with the LS6 intake and tune usually dyno from a low 401rwhp to 415rwhp.

that torquer 2 couldn't have had a 6200 redline. that cam should make power past 6600rpms. it's a top end cam and it's best advantage is with higher gears.

i was going to get a torquer 2 for my car but i opted not to because i wanted a broader powerband and thats what the 226 offers.

Last edited:

Stewart

Worldwide panhandler
Established Member
QuikGT said:

You're skeptical? Tell us how ya got 130+ traps with only 450rwhp?

Blackss99

Established Member
C5_z51_6spd said:
with a 1/4 tank, my car weighs about 3180lbs. yes, the SS has a bigger cam, but bigger is not always better. i don't think he's making a CRAPLOAD more power than me. i think he's making more up top definately due to his bigger stick, but i think im making more down low and midrange and with my weight advantage he would at least need gears to overcome the difference. im a damn good driver also.
You said he had a bigger stick. Sorry i couldn't resist.
Ps You only picked up 16 hp with a tune?

Last edited:

Steve Gunn

Established Member
I believe it. Some combos just suck for big numbers. Just because you get a big cam and longtubes on an LS1, doesn't necessarily mean you're going to pop the normal 400+rwhp mark and start waxing moderately cammed vettes. Nice kill!

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
Blackss99 said:
You said he had a bigger stick. Sorry i couldn't resist.
Ps You only picked up 16 hp with a tune?

yes, i only picked up 16 from the tune. also, just because he has bigger cam dosen't automatically mean he's going to be faster.

Last edited:

RealQuick

Established Member
Stewart said:
They are power wise but not weight wise.

They actually are closer than people think. My LT1 fbody without the spare and jack came in at 3350lbs...that what a C5 vette weighs. My friends C5 is 3300, but he has a fuly optioed vete, heads up display, active handling...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread