Cammed G8 vs AMG E55 and C63

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
These were a couple races that I was really looking forward to, after the cam swap, to test out my car.

First up was the E55, a stock 2004. We had raced once before, when my setup was bolt-ons/nitrous. I gave him a car length, but a nitrous issue gave him an easy win.

Once I got the cam swap done I hit him up for a heads up rematch. We went out to a local spot, where we have a 1/4 mile marked out. I had one passenger and he was alone. We lined up and I honked it off. We left together and I slowly pulled a 1/2 car lead through the first two gears. At that point he stopped my pull and it kept looking like he was going to creep back, but he never did. Since I was ahead, I stayed in it passed the 1/4 mile a bit to see if he pulled at all, but it stayed there until we let off at 130 mph or so.

I was thrilled with be results, as I expected to get walked up top. He was impressed with the gains from the cam and we shook hands over a great race.

Next up was my friend's stock 2009 C63. I was really looking forward to this rematch, as it's the car that gave me incentive to install the cam.

We previously raced from 45 mph rolls, with me having a passenger, and with me on motor (bolt-ons) he straight up walked away. I was left thinking, "damn, if only my car rolled out like that on motor!" We also raced with me spraying a 75 shot, and it was almost dead even, with him getting out slightly and me evening it up as speeds increased.

Now for the rematch, we agreed to the same 45 mph start to make it a close comparison to last time. I was hoping to be able to keep him to within a car length. Neither of us had a passenger this time.

The first run I hit it a little late and he got out a fender. I expected him to keep pulling, but I stopped his pull, and to my surprise I started pulling back. We ran it out to 135ish and I got him by 1 to 1-1/2 cars, according to him.

The second race we started at 45 again, and this time we hit it at the same time. With no jump, I was able to start pulling sooner and by 135 I was 1-1/2 to 2 cars in front, according to him.

To say I'm happy with the cam swap would be an understatement! I've raced every car that I had set my sites on before the swap (bolt-on 2005 GTO as well), and I was able to beat every one. I would have been happy if they had all beaten me by a car, lol.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
That was the incentive he needed to mod up. He's always said it was too expensive to mod the C63, but after those races he's talking about getting a tune, a posi, and drag radials. Guess I'll need a fuel pump so I can hook the nitrous back up, lol

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Thanks guys!

wow, i was expecting a different outcome, especially going up against the e55. is ur g8 the ls2 or ls3?
awesome runs!

Me too, I kept looking back, expecting him to be walking by, but he never did. I think the cars are probably about evenly matched, and I got a little better launch. With a drag radial and a hard launch he could probably take me due to the low end grunt.

My car has the L76. 6.0 with displacement on demand (which I deleted with the cam swap). They are rated 361/385 stock.

Hoon

Established Member
Nice runs SRZ. Can't wait to see it with the upcoming changes. :banana:

TheHitman™

Established Member
Congrats on the kills man. Your car has come along quite a ways. When you get the fuel pump how much spray are you looking at using?

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Nice runs SRZ. Can't wait to see it with the upcoming changes. :banana:

Thanks! I'm not expecting much out of the next changes, probably in the range of 20 rwhp, but that's just a guess. For the price though, it will be worth it.

Congrats on the kills man. Your car has come along quite a ways. When you get the fuel pump how much spray are you looking at using?

Thanks, it's been a blast the whole way! This is the first car I've modded where I've been happy with my mods and the results I've gotten.

I'd like to install a stand alone fuel setup for the spray. That way the stock fuel pump will be good a while longer and even better, I can run a little race gas with the spray for added safety. I'll probably run a 100 shot most of the time. The 150 will be fun, but you go through bottles fast that way.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Impressive runs OP. I have always really liked the looks of the G8s and was bummed when Pontiac shut down. That 400+ hp G8 they offered in limited numbers was really quite a deal. Lots of the auto mags said it was an M5 for half price. Now, good luck finding one for a reasonable number on the used market as I would imagine they bring quite a premium!

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
I thought about trading mine in for a GXP when you could get them new, but I couldn't justify the extra 10K. Big GXP fan though.

blackvette101

Established Member
I thought about trading mine in for a GXP when you could get them new, but I couldn't justify the extra 10K. Big GXP fan though.

The GXP is worth it just on the tranny alone. My brother used to have a G8 before he got a new 5.0. We did heads and cam and it made 440 at the tire and then we hit it with a 150 shot on top of that. the tranny only lasted a couple bottles and it was super expensive to build right.

TheHitman™

Established Member
Thanks, it's been a blast the whole way! This is the first car I've modded where I've been happy with my mods and the results I've gotten.

That's how I feel with this car. I've modded my Z06 and Supra and haven't been happy with the mods on those, primarily due to the shop that did the work on my car.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Having a trustworthy shop really makes or breaks this hobby. I generally do my own work, but the couple times I've had a shop do work, I've been disappointed more often than not.

Users who are viewing this thread