Came to a conclusion!

Project96svt

Big Pappa
Established Member
Finnaly figured out what im going to do with my 96 cobra...Is put a ford lighting 5.4 in it... The motor alone with fully forged internals is only 4k....give me a few months to get the cash and ill post pics as the project starts

JaybTorchedMach

Speed of Sound
Established Member
Sounds interesting... What tranny are you going to use? I need to do something with my 95 as well. I was planning on just doing a 302 swap but I'm tempted to save a lil more and go with something bigger.

Project96svt

Big Pappa
Established Member
I have a stock t45 now but I found a t56 w/driveshaft crossmember and clutch kit for another ,4k so overtime thats what I wanna put.in it

SVTContique

Wouldnt it be easier to just build the 4.6?

You need a MASSIVE hood to fit the blower from a lightning in a car.

BajaBoy

Established Member
How do you know its not forged? Do you know the motor he plans on buying?

How do i know? I dont. But ill guess and say 90% of the lightning motors out there arnt :bored:

Plus he said "a" lightning motor as in non-specific. If he found a built one i'm sure he would have specified. Plus Not many people are going to sell a complete built longblock for 4k. esp with stock blower? on top to boot.

BajaBoy

Established Member
I clarify the motor im gonna buy is a lightning upgrade it is completly forged long block ported heads minus the intake and supercharger the website is Promar Modular Performance Engines - Ford 5.4 Lightning Engines

I checked it out, and of course it is your car do what you want with it. But your going to spend more money on a less capable powerplant.

MMR has a special on the 4.7 for 2500 which will hold a lot more power then that 4k lightning motor. And you use all your stock parts.

i just dont need any positives. Maybe if it was a 2v car from the getgo

Edit: droid autocorrect ftl

Last edited:

Badfish4.6

Established Member
*no hood will clear*

and the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Its not "fully forged" either.

first of all, at least he has an idea and a direction. Saying this is the dumbest idea you have ever heard because its different is ignorant. different=innovative i hope people like bajaboy drive you to make this work!

BajaBoy

Established Member
first of all, at least he has an idea and a direction. Saying this is the dumbest idea you have ever heard because its different is ignorant. different=innovative i hope people like bajaboy drive you to make this work!

Different? no its pointless. logically thinking, explain how this is smart on both a Performance and Money stand point. :poke:

Badfish4.6

Established Member
Different? no its pointless. logically thinking, explain how this is smart on both a Performance and Money stand point. :poke:
who said it has to be "smart" or economical. if we wanted to save money we wouldnt leaving our cars completely stock would we not???? shit, we wouldnt even be buying mustangs. what ever happened to doing something just to see if you could do it????? hater

BajaBoy

Established Member
who said it has to be "smart" or economical. if we wanted to save money we wouldnt leaving our cars completely stock would we not???? shit, we wouldnt even be buying mustangs. what ever happened to doing something just to see if you could do it????? hater

so you like burning money to make no advancement? You have no valid arguments besides I am a "hater" lol when I can care less, if anything I gave him an easier/better/cheaper alternative.

and what does purchasing a mustang have to do with anything?

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Everyone has different opinions on how to mod their car. If the OP wants to install a lightning motor in his cobra then so be it. Not everyone will think that this is the best way to go about making power but it will give it a "wow" factor. Baja Boy voiced his opinion and gave an alternative way to make more power, thats what this site is for isn't it?

I do think that the lightning swap isn't a very daily driver friendly swap since the blower sticks out way too much for my liking. There isn't a hood that will cover it unless you get one with a 10" cowl...if this is just for a weekend car to just have fun then it'll end up being a fun car that will send tires to their death.

Project96svt

Big Pappa
Established Member
The up side to is the fact that it is alit easier then most people think every thing bolts up, tranny , acc. All I will need is a set of headers and intake setup ive seen one with a cobra r hood cutt around the blower and it looks sick

Users who are viewing this thread