Camber on Rear wheel?

Gturo_5.0

Established Member
So I have a 2011 GT and a few months ago I got into a collosion where i got T-Boned. I just recently got my car back and everything seems to be fine except that the rear wheel on the side where it got hit looks kind of cambered in and maybe kind of toed in. The car seems to drive fine overall but what would be the things that could be bent? Control arm? Shock? I already replaced the entire axle.

Norm Peterson

Established Member
Make sure you're on a flat surface (no low or high spots), otherwise at least the camber you see won't be what it would measure on a rack.

If you've got a digital angle finder, you can use that to determine whether the axle really is showing cambers that aren't zero. Non-zero axle cambers without causing driving issues are entirely possible, as long as they're about the same (both about the same amount negative here), and this can happen when the axle itself is bent.

A bent axle could also result in toe that's not zero either, though you should first check the LCAs to make sure they aren't the problem. Then check to see if the toes are both about the same amount 'in'. Or one 'in' and the other 'out', indicating that the axle isn't square to the chassis.

You can do all this checking yourself if you're patient, though getting a professional alignment check might be faster.

Got any pictures?

FWIW, one of my previous cars had axle cambers of about -0.5° and nearly as much toe-in. It was a salvage yard sourced axle, necessary because I was on the road when something expensive (but not a crash) happened. It drove just fine for more than 20 years on that axle.

Norm

greenscobie86

Established Member
My car has a weird thing like that as well. Its only noticeable to me. I have adjustable LCA's/Adjustable PHB and lowering springs on my car.

Here's a pre alignment printout of my car from a few years ago. As you can see the LR wheel has some negative camber and the LR has some positive making the rear wheels appear like so: /=====()=====/

Scan-140112-0001_zpsdeba637b.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread