Cam

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Well guys, I've decided to bite the bullet - I'm going to pull the Steeda #18 cam I currently have (due to poor driveability below 2000 rpm) and go with something that has known good driveability. The question is - what cam should I get? My car is currently naturally aspirated and 100% street driven. I would rather not go back to stock, but would still like something with a little kick to it. Keep in mind, my ultimate goal is to get rid of the bucking (chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk-a) that I have at any rpm less than 1500, and i want an idle speed of less than 1000 rpm (currently idle at 1100). In case you're wondering, the Steeda #18 cam is very similar to the E303 cam (220/226, 512"/512" lift w/1.7 rr), but has crappy drivability. I've got full exhaust, al. gt40 heads with mild exhaust porting, etc, see signature below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard White

Teal Cobra #2771
FMS alum gt-40 heads w/mild port work, fully ported lower intake and port matched to upper, Steeda #18 cam, Anderson Ford Motorsport N/A power pipe, 80 mm Pro-M, FMS blue 9 mm plug wires, MSD 6AL, MSD blaster 2 coil, FMS alum. radiator, black magic elec. fan, blue silicone hoses, Jamex alum. strut tower brace, MAC 1 5/8 eq. length shories, Dr. Gas 2.5" x-pipe w/o cats, 2 chamber flowmasters, MAC 2.5 tailpipes, T5-Z trans. (replaced by Ford), FMS HD clutch, Forte clutch quadrant, 155 lph fuel pump, Saleen alum. pedals, white face gauges, Hurst deluxe shifter (chrome stick, white ball), autometer phantom monster tach w/shift light, 3.73 ring and pinion, viper alarm system

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I don't think they are that similar the E and the steeda the E is 220/226, .498/.498 the F cam look more like the steeda cam with 226/226, .512/.512. My 85 gt has the E-cam and 1.6 roller rockers and its great driveability below 2000 rpm idles nice also not to rough. I think you've got to much lift with the .512/.512 and the 1.7 rockers. My brother-in-law had the 1.7 with the b-cam / dart heads and it was to much lift, he changed to 1.6 and much better lowend driveability. I'd leave the cam in a try different rockers. Just my 2 cents.:)

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The .512" lift figures are with my 1.7 rockers, lift specs are actually .498". I have been considering the 2031, also considering a custom burnt chip before I tear into the motor yet again.

satx

Banned
go the chip route first to see what happens....my bet is that it will take care of the issue

95snoozer

Established Member
ok your computing your cam wrong. 1.7s take the lift from .498 tp .529125 and has the same duration. Maybe its your duration, because I have the 1.7s and the e-cam and can cruais around at 1100-1200 If i want.
dont know what to tell you about .........

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Oops, the lift on the Steeda cam with 1.6 rockers is .480, I stand corrected. I was so used to quoting the .512 with 1.72 rockers that i somehow came up with .498 when going back to 1.6 rockers
:shrug:

I am probably going to try the custom chip route as a last effort before I try to change the cam. I appreciate everyone's input, I have had several people say they think a chip will cure the problems. Even if it does not cure the problem, I'll at least gain a little more hp right?:thumbsup:

Black93Cobra

Established Member
93Cobra2771, I wouldn't go the chip route thinking you are going to gain major HP just with the chip. I own a road race '93 LX Sedan with a 331 stoker, Edelbrock heads and Intake, etc. I finnally had to go the chip route to cure the driveability issues associated with my high lift cam. I gained virtually no peak horsepower but I did pick up some HP and TQ under the curve. The biggest gain was in driveability which improved to the point that I didn't have to keep one foot on the accelerator just to keep the car from dying at idle. Just my $.02

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Point taken Black93Cobra. Notice I mentioned a "little" horsepower :) . I am deninitely not expecting much if any more hp. I'm not concerned so much with gaining hp like I used to be, heck, I'd sacrifice some hp if I can get my driveability back. Can't hook up the hp I've got now, don't need any more, but in the back of my mind, you know the drill, "more power arrr arrrr arrrrr"
:burnout:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I picked up 10 rwhp and 10rwtq in my ENTIRE curve with my custom chip. Not a massive amount but it is still more hp and tq!

Users who are viewing this thread