Cam Swap????

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
Has anyone changed a cam in a 94-95 cobra? I have heard that you will have serious idling problems. I am thinking about doing heads and an "F" cam. Will I have any piston to valve clearance problems? Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I put a b-cam in and had mild idling problems. Took the computer about 2 weeks to get used to it. I think you only need to notch the pistons with the x-cam, not the f. Honestly tho, i would avoid putting in an alphabet cam.

What heads are you swapping on? Depending on how mild to aggressive you want to be, the best cams out there are the Steeda #19, Comp Cams XE266HR. If not one of those, go custom.

Right now I have custom cam in and its a LOT bigger than those listed above and i have zero idling issues with stock computer.

03SonicBlueL

Established Member
I was thinking about going with the GT-40X head. I know there are a lot better heads out there, but I am kind of anal about staying with Ford parts...
Can you get the cam in with the motor in place? Or do you have to jack it up some?

Thanks for the reply....

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Basically you are pulling of the intake manifold, valve-covers, pushrods, front bumper, radiator, etc. It's not hard, just time consuming.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I didnt need to take off my front bumper. I had to undbolt my radiator and just somewhat turn it out of the way. Like Rippin said, you will need to take off your intake (upper and lower), valve covers, and rods.

Do not be anal about staying with Ford parts. The aftermarket parts are much better and much more worth it.

95cobby

Established Member
Lee said:
thanks for the article "95cobby"!

No problem! The cam in our cars is not bad at all and I think that people should look into it a little more before they dig into it. Now if they have a power adder of some type a cam would be a great benefit.

crystal_SVT

Established Member
if im correct i think the 94-95 cpu's didnt take to well to cam changes. as far as cams go fms cams are good an proven but there are better ones, id look into a comp cam. i wish i woulda in my LX instead i went with the Xcam which isnt bad but again theres better. good luck

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Yeah the 94-95 cobras CPU isnt thaaaat picky. As long as you keep the LSA of the cam abobe say 112 it wont really ahve a problem. I run the Crane 2031 cam and i use the Cobra J4J1 program with my tweecer and my car runs and idles great.

SNSTR_SNK

Established Member
03SonicBlueL said:
I was thinking about going with the GT-40X head. I know there are a lot better heads out there, but I am kind of anal about staying with Ford parts...
Can you get the cam in with the motor in place? Or do you have to jack it up some?

Thanks for the reply....

just curious why your anal about staying with ford parts when there is so much aftermarket out there. are you worried about quality or just want to stick with ford? not trying to pick at you or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread