Cam swap coming soon. Bolt question?

torchred02gt

Established Member
I'm swapping the exhaust cams out on my car in the very near future. I'm just wanting to double check which bolts are torque to yield(1 time use). I'm buying arp balancer and cam phaser bolts. Just curious if the cam tower bolts are also tty bolts ? Thanks!

torchred02gt

Established Member
That's what I figured. Unless I'm missing something are oem ford bolts my only option? Didn't see an arp offering on their site.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
They are not TTY. I'll replace them after a few uses anyway just because they're cheap.

redline5.0

Established Member
I'm swapping the exhaust cams out on my car in the very near future. I'm just wanting to double check which bolts are torque to yield(1 time use). I'm buying arp balancer and cam phaser bolts. Just curious if the cam tower bolts are also tty bolts ? Thanks!

What exhaust cams are you going too? I have not been on the dyno yet but I went with the boss ones and I can't really tell any difference in the butt dyno.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
I completely forgot to order bolts for my cam swap, thanks for the reminder.

torchred02gt

Established Member
Redline I'm going with the "cj" cams. The 290 duration 11mm lift ones. They were cheap and Max effort power isn't nearly important to me as longevity is. I'm doing opg's and boss chain tensioners and figured why not add boss valve springs and those cams since it's going to be apart anyways.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Redline I'm going with the "cj" cams. The 290 duration 11mm lift ones. They were cheap and Max effort power isn't nearly important to me as longevity is. I'm doing opg's and boss chain tensioners and figured why not add boss valve springs and those cams since it's going to be apart anyways.

I'm doing those cams as well, who is going to tune your motor? Also, let us know how your car picks up after the cams. I should have my set done by the end of Dec. I might have my heads ported, since it'll be mostly torn down anyways.

Last edited:

torchred02gt

Established Member
I'm doing those cams as well, who is going to tune your motor? Also, let us know how your car picks up after the cams. I should have my set done by the end of Dec. I might have my heads ported, since it'll be mostly torn down anyways.
I've never had my car on a dyno. I probably should do a before and after and I will if I have time.
I'm doing those cams as well, who is going to tune your motor? Also, let us know how your car picks up after the cams.

interested in this as well because most say that the cost per gain is not worth it.

I can't emphasize enough that I'm only installing these because it was going to be torn down for the opg's anyway. If I get 10hp woohoo. That's 10 more than I had. I've refrained from buying a set of comp cams because I honestly can't tell you if it'll ever see boost or not. Spending $1,500 on NA cams then turning around a year later and slapping a blower on it seems idiotic to me. I do mostly autocross and track day(as soon as I swap the front brakes) events. I wanted to add a little peace of mind as the engine will spend a lot of time in the upper rpm range.

redline5.0

Established Member

Ya the only reason I went with the boss exhaust cams was how cheap they were and my motor was apart being built already. Also +1 on you doing the boss chain tensioners. I reused the stock tensioners and had one fail the next day after the built motor was done so we had to pull the timing cover and do the boss tensioners. I also did the head mmr head cooling mod for piece of mind and would of done the billet lower crank shaft gear had they been out at the time of the build.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
I installed those FRPP Exhaust cams using Blazers Oil Pump gear Guide. The cam bolts and Cam cap bolts ARE TTY. I would NOT recommend reusing them if you plan on spinning it past 7k regularly. For how cheap they are it doesn't make sense to skimp on that. I got all my stuff thru Tasca, the best prices going.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I installed those FRPP Exhaust cams using Blazers Oil Pump gear Guide. The cam bolts and Cam cap bolts ARE TTY. I would NOT recommend reusing them if you plan on spinning it past 7k regularly. For how cheap they are it doesn't make sense to skimp on that. I got all my stuff thru Tasca, the best prices going.

That is incorrect per the Ford service manual. If they are torque to yield (not torque to angle) the workshop manual will say to discard them upon disassembly. Which it does not. As said I'll reuse them a time or two and then replace them anyway. Never had a problem on some motors making a lot of power.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
That is incorrect per the Ford service manual. If they are torque to yield (not torque to angle) the workshop manual will say to discard them upon disassembly. Which it does not. As said I'll reuse them a time or two and then replace them anyway. Never had a problem on some motors making a lot of power.
I also checked and jon is correct. They do not say discard so they are not TTY.

Users who are viewing this thread