Cam question

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
If i already have my motor out of the car, how long would it take a reputable shop to change out my intake cams? How much do you think they'd charge me to swap out both intake cams with the motor being already out and would the heads have to come off? I just purchased a mach 1 motor and before i drop the motor back in, i want to switch out the mach's intake cams and use my 99/01 cobra cams.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
pull the valve covers and timing cover for the shop, and its about a 2.5 hour job.

the heads do not have to come off.

its not difficult with everything out.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
I have some N/A 4V comp cams part #106400 there billet cams with less than 500 miles on them, I need to sell these because I just bought a blower and need some new cams :fm: If your interested send me a pm, I'll make you a great deal.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
aren't the mach 1 intake cams supposed to provide a little more low end torque while still keeping the cobra top end power and torque? if so, you should just keep them in. although, that would be too good to be true so maybe i'm wrong on the cams.

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
the 99/01 cobra cams are more aggressive than mach 1 cams. Using my 99/01 cobra cams with mach 1 heads can be worth 15-20hp up top with a slight loss of low end torque but not alot. PHP used 96-98 cobra cams which are more aggressive than 99/01 cams and they put them in a mach 1 and picked up around 30 more rwhp.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
wow, i guess i had the cam thing backwards. i had no idea about the 96-98 cobra cams either. good luck with everything! :beer:

95svtcrx

Established Member
so would it be a waste of time looking around for 96-98 cobra cams instead of just buying aftermarket ones?

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
droptopsnake01 said:
dude, buy some aftermarket comp cams and do your self a favor and stop looking for factory cams.

I have some that I need to sell :idea:

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
C5_z51_6spd said:
the 99/01 cobra cams are more aggressive than mach 1 cams. Using my 99/01 cobra cams with mach 1 heads can be worth 15-20hp up top with a slight loss of low end torque but not alot. PHP used 96-98 cobra cams which are more aggressive than 99/01 cams and they put them in a mach 1 and picked up around 30 more rwhp.

Nothing against you, but where can this info be verified?

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
Last edited:

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
99riocobra said:
aren't the mach 1 intake cams supposed to provide a little more low end torque while still keeping the cobra top end power and torque? if so, you should just keep them in. although, that would be too good to be true so maybe i'm wrong on the cams.

the mach cams makes more low end, but cobra cams pull harder up top.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
ive had both head/cam setups in my car (the 99 cams/heads, and now, the 03 cams/heads), with an identical blower combination. the difference is noticeable.

theres lots more low end torque... just what a centrifugal blower car needs. I like it. before, the power didnt come on until after 4 grand, but would break the tires loose.

-Homer

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
IUP99snake said:
ive had both head/cam setups in my car (the 99 cams/heads, and now, the 03 cams/heads), with an identical blower combination. the difference is noticeable.

theres lots more low end torque... just what a centrifugal blower car needs. I like it. before, the power didnt come on until after 4 grand, but would break the tires loose.

-Homer

the 99/01 H/C and 03/04 H/C are indeed a night & day difference, however, if you mate the 03/04 higher flowing heads with the 99/01 more aggressive intake camshafts, the gain is about 15-20hp.
there isn't a significant or noticeable loss of low end torque with the 99/01 cam 03/04 head combo versus the stock 03/04 combo. you'll see the torque loss on the dyno, but it's so small you won't feel it.

Last edited:

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
Ok, well tell me this C5. I have 98,03, and 01 cams. I'm using 01 heads. I'm planning on running a turbo as soon as possible. Which cams do you tink would work out best? I plan to run twin 57mm or maybe a single 76mm. Not sure yet, but if you could give me the pros/cons that would be great.

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
97Stangv6 said:
Ok, well tell me this C5. I have 98,03, and 01 cams. I'm using 01 heads. I'm planning on running a turbo as soon as possible. Which cams do you tink would work out best? I plan to run twin 57mm or maybe a single 76mm. Not sure yet, but if you could give me the pros/cons that would be great.

if i had a set of all three sets and a turbo, i'd definately want to go with the '01 or '03 cams....If you want torque, keep your 03 cams in there also. The '98 cams being that it has 22 degrees more duration than '03 cams and 12 degrees more duration than 01 cams, it'd bleed off the most boost. Thats really a question you should ask quadcammer or post in the forced induction section.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread