Cam Guru's Cam Spec Question

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
I came across a good deal on some custom grind cams from a freind of mine. The cams are suposse to custom grinds by Al Pittito, i think thats how you spell it. Well i was told that they are designed for a Lightning, but i know nothing about cam specs or what application they are for. Heres what he sent me as far as specs, ".545 lift 226@50 intake, 246@50 exhaust, 116 lobe seperation, Valve timing intake open -3 btdc, closed 49 abdc, exhaust open 59 bbdc, closed 7 atdc". Sorry if i missed something but thats what was sent to me. Are these good numbers? There going on my stock heads for now until i can afford to go built. Should i get these are pass them up? My mods are below. Thanks:beer:

FordFanStan

Established Member
My recommendation, first and foremost would be to take what read ont he forums with a grain of salt, I love how people chime in when they do not have personal experience. Second, I would call the engine builder and ask his opinion and to verify these are from him. Al has a pretty good reputation so that says something. In my opinion, these cams have a pretty wide lobe seperation, so they will have good vacuum for street use, and a good amount of exhaust duration, so they will flow pretty well, but with the difference, they will probably have quite a bit of "lope" to them. Hope that helps, Stan

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
Stan thanks alot. The person who has the cams know Al personally, so that is one plus. And they was designed for street & track use, from what i was told. As far as a lope at idle, i kinda like the idea. I was just worrying that they were out of range for my set up, even though he said they were for my set up. I rather ask you guys to make sure. He has the complete set up from Al, cams, Nextex springs, and titanium retainers. It was a package deal from him. Think i'm gonna slap the cams in and see if i can get that 11 second time slip that i been wanting. Thanks again Stan!

Users who are viewing this thread