Calling Chris Nelson.....

scott818

Banned
Hey, I tried to buy the axle bearings from you but I never got a response. I have a question though. I went to a local Napa for the seals and bearings. They wanted 55.60 for EACH bearing. Am I getting ripped off? Also, in your professional opinion, do you think I need new bearings? My truck has only 40 k on it and they haven't been real hard on the rear end. I've only made about 20 passes at the track if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Yes thats a ripoff Thats not the right price
You probley won't be able to get the old bearings off without damaging them. I have been there.
Give Chris a call at his Napa 1-860-871-7577

scott818

Banned
Well I am taking to a shop that has done many local trucks, so I won't have to worry about damaging them. I'll give him a call if he doesn't respond here. Thanks for the help though.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Thats what Im trying to tell you they won't be able to get the bearings off without doing some kind of damage to them. They are pressed on very hard. I just had the True Trac put in a few months back thats how I know. Just trying to help you out.

FordFanStan

Established Member
What shop are you taking your truck to Scott? After I get my truck back from Dante I should have a TT installed as well. Last time at the track I seen significantly more rubber one one side :eek: ... Stan

Chi3f

Established Member
THUNDER BOLT said:
Thats what Im trying to tell you they won't be able to get the bearings off without doing some kind of damage to them. They are pressed on very hard. I just had the True Trac put in a few months back thats how I know. Just trying to help you out.

he's right on. mine had to be changed when the true trac went in because you can't save them.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Those prices have got to be wrong though, right? over 50 bones per bearing doesnt seem right to me?? Any approximations on price? Stan

scott818

Banned
Stan, I am taking my truck into ram jet. They come highly recommened from ANT and FIREGUY. Great prices too. 175 to install TT, seals, and bearings. I also elected to buy the TA girdle as well. Everything should be going in next wed.

Thunderbolt, I would have no problem buying bearings. I just don't want to pay 50 bones a piece for them. Not to sound like a dick, these bearings can be re-used. They were re-used on a couple of peoples trucks that I know of. No problems yet. The right tool for the right job I guess. This is all the guys from ram jet do. Thank you for the help though. It is much appreciated.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
When you say axle bearings what ones are you talking about, the ones inthe axle tube out by the wheels or the ones that the posi unit ride in?
The guys that say the bearings will be junk when they are removed are talking about the axle bearings (out by the wheels) the ones you are talking about are not called axle bearings (if infact you are talking about the ones that are on the posi unit)
I had my rear apart and with 55880 on the truck the bearings looked brand new. There is really no need to replace them unless they are scored real bad.

Last edited:

scott818

Banned
I am talking about the inner axle bearings, the ones that ride in the posi unit. I thought there might have been a mix up and I think I will be re using mine. If they are needed I will buy some. Thanks for the help guys.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Sorry it took me so long. Some of you may have noticed that I'm not on here as much as I used to be. Our main competitor in town recently closed. I've been extremely busy changing over stocking dealers to my product lines and fighting off the other vultures that come in when a competitor closes. Luckily my dealers are pretty loyal to us and the other competition that tries to scoop up what they can is usually out of luck. It is just a PITA b/c one guy closes and 5 salesman from competitors who NEVER go to these garages are there trying to get their business. So I need to do a lot of work to ward off these guys. By the time I got home last night, washed my Colorado, and ate dinner it was time to go to bed so I wasn't even on here last night. And I still haven't scraped the surface of what I need to do.

Anyways-

In your last thread I thought you wanted Axle Bearings and seals. I assumed it was more of a maintenance thing than anything else.

I wonder what they priced you. I called SKF a couple weeks back and all the #'s in the diff were brand new #'s and can only be had in their Differential Kit that isn't even available yet. The axle bearings would run around $50ea, which are not the ones you want. I'd bet that is what they priced you. I have the brand new bearing catalog that I just got this week and they aren't even listed. So long story short, I'm failing you. Sorry Scott, I wish you luck with you rear-end build.

:thumbsup:

I'D WIN

Established Member
scott818 said:
I am talking about the inner axle bearings, the ones that ride in the posi unit. I thought there might have been a mix up and I think I will be re using mine. If they are needed I will buy some. Thanks for the help guys.

Perhaps you can get the OEM part number and maybe Chris can cross-reference the two.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I'D WIN said:
Perhaps you can get the OEM part number and maybe Chris can cross-reference the two.

Martin, I know the #'s, but I can only get them in the Diff Kit that isn't even available yet.

scott818 said:
So the axle seals I bought, no good?

Did you buy 17327's??

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Scottie,

Take your seals with you to Ram Jet. If they aren't the right ones, they have some already and the have carrier bearings in case yours are toast, Not the 50 bones version. Try and relax and enjoy the ride man. These guys are good, veeery good at what they do and have most everything they need to make it work. This is not like a trip to my house where we make five trips to get assorted parts. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread