Calling all Remans.

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has experienced some of the same engine failures with a Remaned 03/04 Terminator motor as with the stock one when given more boost and heat. I know no engine is completely bulletproof, but I would like to see if any of the people that replaced their damaged stock motor with a reman + updated heads have experienced the piston damage that a few of the cars on this board have seen with high speed runs.

Also looking to see if any remans that developed the head tick with the revised heads.

I believe the rebuilt motors were bored out and have a better PTCW clearance, possibly helping to eliminate or reduce the chance of melting the number 7 or 8 pistons, which typically happens after some abuse to the stock motor.

ditchsnake

Established Member
Got one here

Mine only has less than 1000 miles on it. With a stock Eaton. Putting a 3.4 on it now. I'll take it easy for awhile though. I'll report back. I've heard the same about being bore .020 over. Have never found proof positive. Also did the evenflow head cooling mod just in case. Wish us both good luck. Ive read that a guy (Buster) is making a ton of HP on one. Call Steve at Tousley ford. He does have some info on them. He's a great guy.

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
Mine only has less than 1000 miles on it. With a stock Eaton. Putting a 3.4 on it now. I'll take it easy for awhile though. I'll report back. I've heard the same about being bore .020 over. Have never found proof positive. Also did the evenflow head cooling mod just in case. Wish us both good luck. Ive read that a guy (Buster) is making a ton of HP on one. Call Steve at Tousley ford. He does have some info on them. He's a great guy.

Im posting cause I have a Reman, with about 25K on it. I'm just looking for other first hand experience with the durability of these engines. I haven't had any problems with mine, just trying to see if anyone else has.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Is a remanufactured engine what they use when the engine is replaced under warranty? If so I have one, has about 7k on it. 5000 of which are with a 140ax gen 2. My engine runs great, made good power and I haven't ran into any issues what so ever. Tracked about 4 times last year and has seen a few races on the street. But then again I never take my car passed 4th gear.....

Last edited:

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
Is a manufactured engine what they use when the engine is replaced under warranty? If so I have one, has about 7k on it. 5000 of which are with a 140ax gen 2. My engine runs great, made good power and I haven't ran into any issues what so ever. Tracked about 4 times last year and has seen a few races on the street. But then again I never take my car passed 4th gear.....

It depends on when the motor was replaced. I think SVT had some spare engines after the last car rolled off the line in 2004. I think how it goes is if you have a SVT badge on your cam cover, then you have the original motor (left over from production) from SVT. If you have no badge, then you have a remaned block that has been bored out and if even later in 2005, probably have the revised heads.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It depends on when the motor was replaced. I think SVT had some spare engines after the last car rolled off the line in 2004. I think how it goes is if you have a SVT badge on your cam cover, then you have the original motor (left over from production) from SVT. If you have no badge, then you have a remaned block that has been bored out and if even later in 2005, probably have the revised heads.

yep mine did not come with a badge, had to steal it off my old engine. My engine was replaced in the summer of '07. So I probably have the revised heads and with the head cooling mod. I don't see myself having any heating issues down the road.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
but I would like to see if any of the people that replaced their damaged stock motor with a reman + updated heads have experienced the piston damage that a few of the cars on this board have seen with high speed runs.

damaged motor is more of a tuning issue. high egt's from lean fuel curves and aggressive timing make the piston expand more than designed for. i dunno where people think 12:1 afr is acceptable for a boosted engine but its not, prior to owning one of these max ive ran in other cars is 11.5:1. Plus trying to push over 20* with a crappy eaton like most here is just asking for it.

and the cooling mod doesnt help in this situation one bit. Might help keep the tick away, but its not going to magically reduce EGT's enough to keep blown motors away.

Sure a better built motor with a looser PTW clearance and properly chosen pistons will survive better under aggressive tuning conditions, but dont blame SVT for not doing so. Its a Mustang, not a supercar GT.

I believe the rebuilt motors were bored out and have a better PTCW clearance, possibly helping to eliminate or reduce the chance of melting the number 7 or 8 pistons, which typically happens after some abuse to the stock motor.

I doubt it. SVT designed the motor for 390hp, X amount of boost, timing and air/fuel ratio, and thats it. They wouldnt redesign it because a bunch of people are modding them and blowing them during freeway races. These motors can live all day long under the above conditions, hell the motor combo had to last 300hrs of it, but alot of things change when you start modding.

Last edited:

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
damaged motor is more of a tuning issue. high egt's from lean fuel curves and aggressive timing make the piston expand more than designed for. i dunno where people think 12:1 afr is acceptable for a boosted engine but its not, prior to owning one of these max ive ran in other cars is 11.5:1. Plus trying to push over 20* with a crappy eaton like most here is just asking for it.

and the cooling mod doesnt help in this situation one bit. Might help keep the tick away, but its not going to magically reduce EGT's enough to keep blown motors away.

Sure a better built motor with a looser PTW clearance and properly chosen pistons will survive better under aggressive tuning conditions, but dont blame SVT for not doing so. Its a Mustang, not a supercar GT.

I doubt it. SVT designed the motor for 390hp, X amount of boost, timing and air/fuel ratio, and thats it. They wouldnt redesign it because a bunch of people are modding them and blowing them during freeway races. These motors can live all day long under the above conditions, hell the motor combo had to last 300hrs of it, but alot of things change when you start modding.

+1 As usual you are right on the money!!!

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member

Maybe you thinking of something else. I was refering to the remanufactured 03/04 Cobra motor, not in stock form direct from the niche line. Emphasis on the RE part of REmanufactured. I am not saying SVT made any changes to the motor once released, I'm simply stating that during the engine rebuilding process, the blocks were bored over slightly to clean/smooth the cylinder walls for new pistons. Thus creating more clearance between pistons and cylinder walls.
SVT is not involved with the rebuild process, it is done by a seperate company. I'm not dogging SVT or their craftsmanship, I think they make some awesome vehicles. Maybe I should have stated mildly to wildly modified motors in the beginning.....sorry. :poke:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/532990-03-remanufactured-cobra-motor-what-2.html

Users who are viewing this thread