**CALLING ALL REAR END GUYS** --Rear end clunking--

FlatBlack04

Established Member
I have a 2004 svt cobra and the other day i noticed a problem when reversing, the car tends to like grab with a clunk noise that is sickening. So i drove the car for a little bit trying to get some more symptoms out of it, and well it continued doing this for a few hours. Later that day, i kept driving it, and i kinda said f*** it, if it breaks, it might be easier to track down the problem, so i dropped down into 2nd and punched it, well after shifting into 3rd, midway through the gear i heard a loud pop noise and a continues clunking as rpms rose up. So i stopped on the side of the road and went home, all the way home and now even on jack stands, as you accelerate, and the rpms rise, the clunking becomes more consistent. I AM LOST!! Any input? A buddy of mine told me maybe a U joint, and after driving it too long, it just gave out. So thats all i have as of right now for possibilities!! Please help!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm suscribing! Can you get this noise on video? I wonder if the half shaft nuts can make that sound your describing? I've been told to check on those once in awhile, but I have yet to buy a torque wrench that will go up to 250 lb-ft of torque. Any vibrations?

03 silver cobra

Established Member
check joints and drive shaft bolts first, go over everything if you can get under it

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Diffy Bearings.....mine had it first in reverse as well..and for the longest time..then other stuff later...like TC engaging sparodically on slight curves when I got on it a bit....then on virtual straights...then the marbles sound...

upgrade time..gears, bearings..lube-locker gasket...torque sense diffy...diffy cover or cover brace...FTBR AL diffy bushing kit..yeehaww!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread