Calling all irs swapped guys

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
So here's the scoop, I have a 96 gt 4v swapped cobra brakes hood etc.etc.
Anyway Ive been throwing the idea of an irs swap for a while and one might be falling on my lap soon so what's the pros and cons, regrets if any, common issues.
My rwhp estimate is around 300 and i don't see it going any higher for a little while, also my car is on DD duty so it sees a lot of street driving but i drag it 3-4 times a year

redrocket16

Established Member
Will you be able to upgrade it before install or will it be a straight trade? I found the brake lines to not be too tough to flare, worst part was getting the drivetrain on the correct angles and driveshaft flanges swapped for me and my ebrake cable is a hair bit too tight as well.

Being a DD I'd upgrade bushings if you can and decent springs and call it done along with a nicely polished catback.

brucesvt

Established Member
since i have done the swap i have not looked back. its my summer DD since last year and like redrocket stated you need to upgrade the bushings. Mine just has upgraded bushings, billet flow irs brace and a 03/04 torque brace. Good luck

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
yeah I think I'm definitely goin for it, especially because its gonna be a straight trade

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Did the swap in my 98. Best thing u ever did in that car. Do it and don't look back

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Good mileage and even better that its a 03-04 unit. If money permits do a bushing install on it (Full Tilt Boogie) and a differential cover brace. If money is a little tight I would at least do the differential bushings and brace along with the correct size bolts for the cradle where it bolts up underneath the rear seat. With those installed you should be good to go and eliminate some wheel hop and keep from shattering the differential cover.

redrocket16

Established Member
Good mileage and even better that its a 03-04 unit. If money permits do a bushing install on it (Full Tilt Boogie) and a differential cover brace. If money is a little tight I would at least do the differential bushings and brace along with the correct size bolts for the cradle where it bolts up underneath the rear seat. With those installed you should be good to go and eliminate some wheel hop and keep from shattering the differential cover.

+1. He knows what he is talking about. I purchased mine vs swapping my SRA which allowed me more time to work on the IRS. I even went further and powdercoated the damn thing. Maybe I wouldn't do it again but I will say it made install much more peaceful working with a clean and shiny part vs a 10 year old undercarriage piece.

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys, by the way mystic-svt your sig pic was my inspiration for going irs!

Users who are viewing this thread