Calling all 96-98 boosted S/C Cobras

magnoliatrucks

I need some input from fellow supercharged Cobras.
I am thinking about removing all the "stupid" sensors since I live in Texas. My car has surging problems while driving and I figured I would get rid of the EGR, PCV, and Air smog pump plus any others anyone suggests. I think once these are removed I can have the car reprogrammed (needs a new programming anyhow) to remove the CEL and error codes that will result from removing everything.
What have any of the others s/c cobra folks out there done? What would you suggest?
PS: Thinking of taking the car to LMR to have it dyno tuned. Anyone local have any other ideas on where to take the car? Haven't had much success with Houston performance who did my last tune.

I have the following performance upgrades:
In tank Walbro 255lph w/ inline Bosch inline pump
Fully built/forged motor w/ 42lbs injectors
Vortech sq T-trim w/ 3.40 pulley
Longtubes w/ catback Cobra R side exhaust
T56 6 speed tranny
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
IMO there is no reason to remove the items you mentioned, I have all of them and my car runs great. Surging could be caused by erratic signal from the MAF. If you could data log the MAF output signal to see what it is doing that might be a good place to start. The signal should be stable and not bouncing all over the place. Of course it will change as the throttle is opened and closed. What kind of MAF do you have? The SC bypass should be as far away from the MAF as you can get it, if it is too close it can disrupt the air flow when it opens causing an erratic MAF signal.

JP_Stang

Established Member
^^^ I agree, it sounds like a MAF issue. Are you running draw thru or blow thru? You need to do what Cobra52898 mentioned. I have also heard of guys who continued to have issues with the draw thru setup, switched to blow thru and problem went away. I believe it is a little easier to tune them or something because most people say their car runs better than stock after doing this.

I personally was using draw thru setup for years on my Cobra and never had an issue so it may just be a coincidence. But I just recently switched to blow thru to run an intercooler and did a full pulley swap but haven't had the car tuned yet. I will be sure to let you know if I can feel a difference.

Last edited:

pacific4v

Established Member
Sounds like maf wash. Since u want to get retuned anyway switch to blow thru maf sensor and vent ur bypass to the atmosphere. U shouldn't have any drivability problems then. I would delete all that emissions crap too while ur at it.

Users who are viewing this thread