Called out to race. Looking for opinions.

Lightning or Miata?

• Lightning FTW!

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • Turbo Miata > almost stock Lightning...

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Who cares? It's a damn near stock L vs. a turbo ricer...

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slowcoupe89

holic of many variations
Established Member
****EDIT****
Although the odds were against we were still able to pull alittle something off. Between a camera that would not work, no disk for the spare camera and a TON of rain moving in really fast the odds were against us.

The first race the Miata short shifted alittle, the second race was closer but the Miata still got pulled. We had a third race however I had cleaned the lens prior to the race and didn’t realize my fat thumb hit the zoom button... :bash:The result from the 3rd race was a 20mph roll and the Miata had me by about a full car (Miata) length. As you can see the 4th race I had no traction due to the grass and dirt and he for some reason made a smoke show.

Either way, it’s not over; a good taped roll race is in the future.

---Sorry for the jumpy hand and this is the first video I’ve ever made so don’t be to harsh. :beer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phbYS1k11Q4"]YouTube - Lightning vs Turbo Miata[/ame]

***See below for original content.

Well I’ve been called out for a race and I’m not sure what the result will be. He recommended we go from a dig because of his turbo lag but I requested 20-30mph roll due to traction. Or why not try both…

Me: 01 Lightning, 54,000 miles. K&N FIPK intake, Mangaflow catback, 367hp / 437tq @ 10.6 psi running in 100* temps on a humid Florida afternoon after a 50 mile drive. <-- yea yea excuses excuses, just stating the facts.

Him: 2000 Miata convertible, minor weight reduction. “1.8l rebuilt and board to a 2.0l, rebuilt ported and polished head with aftermarket intake and exhaust valves, gt2560r turbo, 550cc injectors, miatalink programmer, koni yellows(adjustable), factory rebuilt tranny and factory 4:11’s, major brake upgrades, and a roll bar. Down tuned made 250hp / 250tq @ 11.8 psi. It’s so restricted that it puts down the same power in 3rd as it does in 5th. The best way to put it would be that it made 96hp factory so that’s over a 150% power increase. I’m sure the people over on a SVT forum are gonna talk some serious sh!t about a 250hp miata.” <-- Straight from the owner himself.

I’ve riden in the car prior to the latest tune and I must say I was pretty impressed…

Keep in mind this is a 250hp car weighing in around 2000lbs.

So will I get “zoom zoomed” or will he be struck by lightning???

I will post the videos Monday.

Vs.

Last edited:

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
Find tire, take the dig, run it 0-100 and I think you'll come out on top.

Don't give a ricer the ricer roll...

Blaine

Established Member
A Miata can be made into a monster... dunno if I would stick with the stock motor when you can shove a RX7, 5.0, or even a LS1 motor in these with the kits available for the same price that guy paid to bore and build the stock one.:shrug:

These cars can fly with only a bit of power added. A V8 Miata would be a blast to drive. There are even LS1 Twin Turbo Miatas lurking around.

If you see these under a Miata Hood...... worry.

monster_miata_for_sale4.gif

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU6hvz43RWs&feature=related"]YouTube - Miata + LS1 + Nitrous[/ame]

Will be close.

watch

Last edited:

exdeath

Established Member
LS1 with nitrous in that Miata and only 11s?

Something to do with the short wheelbase? I've seen a similar trend with MR2's needing more power than you think necessary to run good times with such a small and light car.

If a 500 HP NO2 LS1 Miata 'only' runs 11's and traps 127, what does a turbo 250 HP Miata run?

Might be closer than you think. Short wheelbase cars don't do straight lines very well.

Luckybob2485

Established Member
I think he may take the win in this case. 250 whp in a light car is going to be quick. I would say do a couple different runs. Go from a dig and a roll. I have a turboed integra, which also takes a while for the turbo to spool, but once it hits, it pulls hard. I think from a dig you will have the major advantage, but from a roll, he will.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
hrm. havent been in a 250hp miata before, id imagine from a dig if you can get traction and he cant, it likely wont go his way.

from a 20-30 roll, hell edge you out methinks.

only miatas ive been in werent made to go fast in a straight line, they were made to turn. If they add a turn to this race, youre done for!

Last edited:

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
I have to speculate that it will be close. I think that the power to weight on the Miata will help it out tremendously. Drive the wheels off your Lightning and tell us how it goes.

RussZTT

Established Member
You have little over hundred rwhp over him but you also have over 2,000lbs over him. I think he may get you if he can drive.

YellowShaker03

I Am Black Jesus
Established Member
Tough to say, I know the Mazdaspeed version (factory turbo Miata) still only puts out about 176hp and runs high 14s-low 15s through the 1/4. I haven't heard if any owners have done better than high 14s stock but I'd imagine you could get alot better than high 14s with 250whp instead of 176 flywheel hp. For the record the best ever stock Mazda Miata time I've personally seen was a 15.5 (n/a they put down about 90-105whp) and the owner could drive. If the Miata owner can drive you might be in trouble imo.

04A4GTO

Established Member
who would drive a Miata? :dw:

Dig is your best shot

I would rather lose to a pink honda civic then a Miata, not worth the race IMO. :pop:

Users who are viewing this thread