California to Arizona

Bullyent

Established Member
what’s up everyone, possibly moving to Arizona in a couple months and was wondering if anyone has done this bringing their terminator? Smog rules? The mustang scene etc. thinking about moving to Phoenix area which I know requires smog test but if my car is current on California registration and smog do I need to get another check in AZ?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
what’s up everyone, possibly moving to Arizona in a couple months and was wondering if anyone has done this bringing their terminator? Smog rules? The mustang scene etc. thinking about moving to Phoenix area which I know requires smog test but if my car is current on California registration and smog do I need to get another check in AZ?

So as far as emissions go its an OBD2 inspection. Plug in to your ECU, check readiness monitors and I believe to a gas cap check. 2001+ are allowed 1 readiness monitor to be incomplete, but the rest must be complete pass (no check light on).

No visual inspection. So, intakes, exhaust, cams don't matter. I had a friend that built a Civic grudge racer, 800+ hp (turbo, dual injectors). Had his exhaust pipe right off the turbo vented out the hood. Went in, did obd check and passed him. He may have gotten a guy at the end of the day that didn't give a shit to pass with such extreme non compliance lol. All emission locations are state run. :D

Its not even close to as stringent as CA. Cops don't give a shit about whats on your car either from what I can tell.

Welcome to the 48th state. :)

Bullyent

Established Member
So as far as emissions go its an OBD2 inspection. Plug in to your ECU, check readiness monitors and I believe to a gas cap check. 2001+ are allowed 1 readiness monitor to be incomplete, but the rest must be complete pass (no check light on).

No visual inspection. So, intakes, exhaust, cams don't matter. I had a friend that built a Civic grudge racer, 800+ hp (turbo, dual injectors). Had his exhaust pipe right off the turbo vented out the hood. Went in, did obd check and passed him. He may have gotten a guy at the end of the day that didn't give a shit to pass with such extreme non compliance lol. All emission locations are state run. :D

Its not even close to as stringent as CA. Cops don't give a shit about whats on your car either from what I can tell.

Welcome to the 48th state. :)
Wow that’s great to hear. I have o/r h pipes Mac LT headers 2.3 whipple no check engine light. Same applies in maricopa county right?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Correct. Phoenix Metro and Tucson metro have emissions checks. The rest of AZ does not.

Now id still advise on running cats if you can during test time. Nothing saying that they CANT take a peek if they suspect something isn't on the car that should be. But a visual for equipment is NOT mandatory or a part of the check.

At worst, they'll tell you to get cats on and then retest. But if you have no lights or codes as is, Id try it and see what happens.

Bullyent

Established Member
Correct. Phoenix Metro and Tucson metro have emissions checks. The rest of AZ does not.

Now id still advise on running cats if you can during test time. Nothing saying that they CANT take a peek if they suspect something isn't on the car that should be. But a visual for equipment is NOT mandatory or a part of the check.

At worst, they'll tell you to get cats on and then retest. But if you have no lights or codes as is, Id try it and see what happens.
Yeah that’s true. It is pretty damn loud. Magnaflow catbacks. So it might be a stupid question and I never really thought about it but would it throw off the car if I put my cats back on since it was tuned with its current exhaust set up? Then putting the o/r mid pipe back on?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
No, it should be fine. Id swap a few days prior if its not your DD. Fire up, verify OBD monitors complete pass and drive over. Test, then return to OR mid-pipe. I wouldn't do any WOT pulls or anything but getting to and from the station should be fine. Its just to make sure the smell doesn't tip a guy that's by the book off. :D

Bullyent

Established Member
No, it should be fine. Id swap a few days prior if its not your DD. Fire up, verify OBD monitors complete pass and drive over. Test, then return to OR mid-pipe. I wouldn't do any WOT pulls or anything but getting to and from the station should be fine. Its just to make sure the smell doesn't tip a guy that's by the book off. :D
Cool I appreciate the help! I’ll be moving to ahwhatukee and hopefully it passes without having to put on the cats lol but I doubt it. Not sure if you’re near that area but are there any meets nearby?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Im over in Glendale, AZ on the west side of the valley. Pavillions in Scottsdale is the place to go. Happens every Saturday. Ive heard that after the meet is when trips to Mexico happen lol.

McDonald's Rock 'n' Roll Car Show at the Pavilions

A few weeks ago, North Scottsdale had performance cars all over the place. Your also coming into AZ at the start of the cool season. If youre into making pulls in Mexico, you'll have a blast and no shortage of other tourists to roll with.

I havent made it out yet, car needs a trans rebuild badly but Ill make it out there

Bullyent

Established Member
Im over in Glendale, AZ on the west side of the valley. Pavillions in Scottsdale is the place to go. Happens every Saturday. Ive heard that after the meet is when trips to Mexico happen lol.

McDonald's Rock 'n' Roll Car Show at the Pavilions

A few weeks ago, North Scottsdale had performance cars all over the place. Your also coming into AZ at the start of the cool season. If youre into making pulls in Mexico, you'll have a blast and no shortage of other tourists to roll with.

I havent made it out yet, car needs a trans rebuild badly but Ill make it out there
Nice. Yeah I’m looking forward to it.
So the emission testing are only done at the aqde? Or whatever it’s called.

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
I've moved most everything to Phoenix but my cars and I... Caring for my dad with Parkinsons in So Cal.. The only issue I ran into there was insuring the Cobra alone was more than all four cars in Cally combined. Im sure that will change when everything is in the land of the free and my Cobra is Grundified right?..LOL

Bullyent

Established Member
I've moved most everything to Phoenix but my cars and I... Caring for my dad with Parkinsons in So Cal.. The only issue I ran into there was insuring the Cobra alone was more than all four cars in Cally combined. Im sure that will change when everything is in the land of the free and my Cobra is Grundified right?..LOL
That’s true. I have USAA and their insurance is pretty good. Did you get emissions tested with o/r mid pipe?

03SVT4DWP

Established Member
It was 50 state legal when I did the CA smog, passed without a hitch. Has the 49 state exhaust with FM right now. Should pass AZ with two cats right?

Users who are viewing this thread