California SMOG regulations

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
I just moved from Seattle WA to San Jose, Washington's emission laws are pretty relaxed, they test via the ODB 2 system so I am able to run with no cats and no EGR with the computer tuned so ODB 2 reads just fine.

Any tips on getting my car smog inspected down here? Im guessing I will need to get cats back on my exhaust as well as the EGR system, I know the companies that check smog are privately owned, perhaps there is a shop that deals with mustangs and other performance cars? Any tips and suggestions would be great, thanks

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
You gotta pay to play. Basically if you want to keep your setup, you're going to need to pay someone to pass you.

Stanger00

Established Member
The deal now is getting past the visual inspection because they don't put OBDII cars on the rollers for SMOG. The big thing they will want to see are cats. Also, be sure all of the monitors in your tune are ready. So you may need to re-connect the EGR system.

When do your Washington tags expire? May want to hold on to those until its actual time to renew.

dunndeal

Established Member
When do your Washington tags expire? May want to hold on to those until its actual time to renew.

If you are employed in CA you must register your car ASAP or face fines. A friend of mine moved here from Oregon and didn't register his car for 4 years because he owned a duplex in OR. The DMV fined him $2500 when they caught up with him.

Stanger00

Established Member
I didn't say do it for 4 years. Just when the current out of state tag expires.

Someone probably reported your friend. DMV just doesn't catch up with you. They can't even handle cancelling handicap placards when people die.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The deal now is getting past the visual inspection because they don't put OBDII cars on the rollers for SMOG. The big thing they will want to see are cats. Also, be sure all of the monitors in your tune are ready. So you may need to re-connect the EGR system.

When did this start? I've been hoping it would start soon so I can get my Cobra to pass a little more cheaply.

BlueSnake01

Established Member

I believe this wont take effect till next year in Jan everywhere. MAYBE some places stopped the sniffer test on OBD-II cars but its still being used in a lot of places as of today.

Everything else though, that is correct. They will check cats and EGR. My Cobra passed with flying colors when I added the stock H-pipe again, EGR still in place of course.

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
My WA tabs expire next month so sounds like I need to get the ball rolling. Question, do they sniff the tail pipes during a smog inspection or is it just a visual inspection and ODB 2 computer check. I kept everything I took off like the EGR system, but my tune has it disabled, I am leaning towards just bring it all back to stock and getting some cats installed

BlueSnake01

Established Member
From what I went thru, its everything.

Like I posted before, the sniffer's should be dropped next year. I remember someone posted about this from his buddy who runs a smog place.

Funny thing, the times I went, they never inspected the car's cats. Sure they were stock but I thought they were supposed to check the SN's on them. Don't think they even knew the car had any or not since its still fairly loud.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm sure it depends on the shop. I took the wife's GT to get smogged and they were all over it with a flashlight. The guy asked me for the CARB number for the K&N intake.

Stanger00

Established Member
Some people could have been talking shit when they said they weren't put on the rollers. I can't speak from first hand experience.

Both of my cars aren't due for a smog this year. I paid someone to pass my mustang last summer and will probably have to do it again next summer.

01yellercobra

Established Member
My SUV is due this year as well. I'm planning on going to another shop since this one was a bit expensive IMO.

Termi8441

Established Member
Some people could have been talking shit when they said they weren't put on the rollers. I can't speak from first hand experience.

Both of my cars aren't due for a smog this year. I paid someone to pass my mustang last summer and will probably have to do it again next summer.

Can anyone refer me to a shop that a can pay to pass me? I mean I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but if anyone can that'd be awesome

02blownGT

Established Member

Testing without the sniffers is still only in shops that are beta testing the equipment.I was a smog tech and a friends shop is one that is doing the testing,got mine tested without the sniffer/rollers last April.

Last edited:

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.

Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.

AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.

AB 2289 - Makes changes to the following smog inspection procedures and guidelines:

A. Authorize the use of On Board Diagnostic II testing to expedite the process.

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

C. Stricter fines structure for improper inspections.

D. Permit the state to contract with the private sector to manage franchise-like networks of independently owned Smog Check stations.

E. Encourage community colleges and other training institutions to develop technician-training programs.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
My understanding of this new law is you have to have all MIL's run except for one, you have to pass a visual inspection still, and then they scan your ECM. The thing that has not been made clear, even to the people that work for the BAR, is whether or not the ECM software will be scanned as well and checked for compliance as a 'factory tune', and whether this will affect custom flashes?

Good Read: stop-the-star-program

http://stop-the-star-program.3084.x6.nabble.com/

Last edited:

02blownGT

Established Member
When i had the new smogging done they scanned the ecm for mils but not for tuning as my car is aftermarket tuned due to the blower and built motor.

Users who are viewing this thread