California Referee Station, Question

WhiteSaleen248

Established Member
I want to know what there stature is. What they do to "FIX" the Noise Exhaust and or Modified Exhaust ticket. I deleted my EGR (a no no in cali) and wanted to know if he can write me up for that or anything. Also if I go in there and tell him its under 95 DBa's (law requires it to be under 95 DBa's) will he just use the DBa meter and call it a day? My car is within legal limits.

???
Thanks Guys
-Oriel

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
It would help if you could provide the actual section of the vehicle code you were cited for. The EGR valve delete could create real problems for you when you try to get it smogged next time so be prepared to re-install it before you present the car for examination.

WhiteSaleen248

Established Member
mswaim said:
It would help if you could provide the actual section of the vehicle code you were cited for. The EGR valve delete could create real problems for you when you try to get it smogged next time so be prepared to re-install it before you present the car for examination.

Modified Exhaust (270515). Does this really have anything to do with the engine compartment? (other than headers, which I have mac shorties). I wonder what the price of this ticket is if I were jus to pay it straight out? I don't have the patience to go swap out my whole exhaust (mind you I have center exhaust, so its a huge hassle).

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I'm a bit confused, you first posted 270515, but also listed 27151 which is the correct section, may have been a typo.

There are ways you can try to work this out without replacing your entire aftermarket system, shoot me a PM and I'll pass on what I know.

Otherwise your choices are very few. The only way you will get a CHP officer to sign off the ticket is to re-install the factory system or produce documentation that your current system is CARB approved and meets his built-in decibel meter ( his ears) since in CA the officer does not have to use a meter to rule your system is too loud.

Sorry I don't have better news.

BTW - was your exhaust system installed by Saleen? If it was and it was assembled in CA you might be able to push this back on them, or at least have them document that the equipment is CARB approved.

Last edited:

WhiteSaleen248

Established Member
No Carb. # because I had it custom Fab'd. It is 27151 (270515 was a type-o) modified exhaust ticket. I think its from 25 feet away, in which case its well below 95 DBa's. Its a V6 so not loud at all, but I do have the S/C. The officer was picking on me, he has pulled me over several times, and everytime he's tried to nail me... and this time he really did.

Thanks for the help
-Oriel

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
you go to the refree, and we do a sound test with a Db meter. CHP cant sign it off, they put a sticker over the sign off portion, and you need a BAR label on the back of the ticket from a refree station stating it is below 96.5Db. also if you get a ticket for modified emissions, that cant be signed off period. the only way it can be waved is if you have a passing smog check from a refree station.

Users who are viewing this thread