California Cars

stronghimiler

Established Member
Do california built/sold cars have special calibrations or differences in smog issues? does this help/hurt performance? If it hurts, I need to change it. I noticed that the window stickers have a california emissions package on them. What does this consist of? Any help is appreciated ;)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I can't tell you exactly what it consists of but, the California cars have to pass a far more strengent emissions test than most of the rest of the country. Hence the "California emissions" package. I'm thinking it has to do with the catalytic converters, but I'll have to check into this some before I can give you the whole story.

Any Cali guys in the house?? Care to pipe in here? ;) :D

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Well I don't know what it consists of but I do know it hurts performance. Only by 5 - 10 hp though.

SC Cobra

Established Member
you have to have catalyitc converter, if you are caught without any cats on your car, you will get a big fine, hell they can even impound your car from what i heard. the emissions law over here are really a drag

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I live in CA. I dont know if all of the Cobras (1996) came with 6 cats but the guy who welded up my new exhaust tips said that's what my car 'used to have' and that it was completely illegal cuz it ony had 2 cats on it. other than that i dunno what differennces there are.

SC Cobra

Established Member
before i had my cobra, i had a 98 mustang gt, when i put that car up on a lift, i saw 6 cats on it.

Nik_95Cobra

Established Member
I bought my cobra in Cali, and it was origionally sold in Cali when new, and it only has 4 cats. Oh well my bassani o/r's going on it when I decide I want to go out and do it. It's been about 110 here lately :coolman:

TLush

Established Member
It used to be if you ran an alternative fuel ( eg. alcohol) you could get around emissions regulations. (Who knows now?)

Users who are viewing this thread