California 104MPH - What's the damage?

Rochard

Established Member
A few weeks ago I got a ticket in Tracy, California, doing 104 MPH.

I have a history of such tickets, two in Arizona, and one in California from 1995. Currently I have a clean record, California DL, no points.

What am I looking in fines and points?

getleftcobra

CAN U READ DA PLATE!!!
Established Member
I have 2 over 100's. I also want to know how long they stay on your record?

those tickets arent the great. u might your L's taken! i had a friend get his taken for doing 90 mph.

i think 3 or 4 yrs.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well they are alot more strict these days than when I got a ticket for 110+. I got a $500 fine, but ended up getting the ticket dismissed (so no points and got my $500 back) But now, I would say its probably going to be at least that if not double and you'll be lucky if you dont get 2 points and your license taken. This is just speculation though, maybe someone knows for sure.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I would rely on information from an Attorney before SVTP.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
While I typically think it's a waste to bother an attorney that costs 500+ dollars about a traffic fine, this is one of those cases where I would do so if it were me.

California has gotten serious about nailing habitual speeders and you also have public perception against you, if you go to traffic court it's likely the judge will already be swayed against you to begin with (an opinion, but one I have observed as accurate) given California's extremely liberal leanings and the massive "public outcry" that the media invents about "street racing".

My advise to you is to seek counsel somewhere other then an internet message board. I believe a member of the California state bar association (aka a Lawyer) would be the best person to advise you on this. Typically on the internet there are several "ticket clinics" which are usually Mcdonalds style lawyers (or guys just working a bit in their retirement) that do traffic fines ect for like 100 bucks a case. While they usually aren't exactly F Lee Bailey (you get what you pay for), they usually are competent enough in the law to defend you in traffic court.

The fine means nothing, what you should be worried about is the points and possible revocation/suspension of your license. Think how much money you stand to lose if you can't get to work on your own.

Last edited:

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
I didnt know you could be ticketed for not wrecking!

Learn something new every day I guess!

:poke: Good catch. lol.

I had a CHP officer tell me I was going 95+ in a 65. He wrote me for a lesser speed so I could take traffic school. Nice guy.

Citation details would help :)

Rochard

Established Member
What did you get cited for? Speeding? Reckless?

22348 (b) VC - Exceeding 100mph.

While the speed limit there is 70 mph, this part of I-5 which is the main freeway from Sacramento to Southern California, and pretty much empty with nothing but farmland.

I went down to pull the ticket out to check the exact violation, and when I pulled the ticket violation I came up with the following from a California.gov website:

CALIFORNIA CODES
VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 22348-22366
22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a
person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit
established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater
than that speed limit.
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction
punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by
a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may
also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle
for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.
(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that
occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a
conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to
exceed seven hundred fifty dollars ($750). The person's privilege to
operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of
Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.

So this is my only traffic violation in four or five years, so I'm looking at a $500 fine and maybe having my DL pulled for a month. The $500 fine is nothing, and I work from home and rarely leave the house so having my DL pulled for thirty days is no big deal. The points on my DL is whatever; Don't care.

As long as I'm not going to be getting a quick education on how to toss the salad in prison and the fines are less than a few thousand, I'm okay.

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
if your ok with that then just pay the fine and take what they give you cant be worse than 30 days DL suspension and $500 if you get a lawyer they will prolly be able to get the suspension gone and a reduced fine if you havent had a ticket in 4-5yrs like your saying. GL either way

Rochard

Established Member
Update..... Just got the notice in the mail.

$775 fine, two points. Don't even have to go to court. I can live with that.

However, it gets much worse if I get caught doing it again. Ouch.

At least I won't have to worry about tossing the salad in prison.

sn8kbte

1999 ELECTRIC GREEN
Established Member
Dam I got same price fine but different ticket for they got me for doing a burnout I got reckless driving they gave me 2points and no suspension . FYI ur points will b on ur record for 7yrs that's if its marked as a misdemeanor and if it is the M it will stay on ur record and you gotta wait for a year to get it off ur personal record.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Dam I got same price fine but different ticket for they got me for doing a burnout I got reckless driving they gave me 2points and no suspension . FYI ur points will b on ur record for 7yrs that's if its marked as a misdemeanor and if it is the M it will stay on ur record and you gotta wait for a year to get it off ur personal record.

So just what is your primary language?

sn8kbte

1999 ELECTRIC GREEN
Established Member
So just what is your primary language?

Don't know y u gotta hate, I know I should proof read everything before I post it. Because there is always turds like u its not about me its about the OP I'm just putting my input.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Don't know y u gotta hate, I know I should proof read everything before I post it. Because there is always turds like u its not about me its about the OP I'm just putting my input.

I wasn't hating. I was asking a question. If I was hating I would have copied and pasted your post to smackdown and had fun with it. I was honestly curious.

Users who are viewing this thread