calif. dmv

mustang81

Established Member
i am ordering a cobra in oregon. how hard is it to get it licensed in calif. would like to drive it home when it comes in. i know dmv can be a pain. has any body dealt with them lately.

ntechnic

Established Member
I bought my Cobra remotely from CT. Had it shipped to my house. The most important thing is to make sure that the car has on the window sticker, and the sticker on the door jamb, that it is CA emission systems equiped. I'm sure that Oregon probably does that routinely. If not, then they're not as green as they like to brag.

There's a lot of pieces of paper that the dealer needs to give you. They should know what is needed for registration in CA. If they aren't experienced in this, they can call their Ford rep or another dealer that sells a lot to CA customers.

Once you get here, you need to get a smog test immediately. You cannot register it without one. Then take your papers and smog certificate to the DMV when you register.

I needed one additional piece of paper (due to my car being a corporate lease car) so I had to go back a second time. Not bad all in all.

Just don't get me started on the problems I've run into with my vanity plate!

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by mustang81
i am ordering a cobra in oregon. how hard is it to get it licensed in calif. would like to drive it home when it comes in. i know dmv can be a pain. has any body dealt with them lately.

There is no sales tax in Oregon. But definately, one in CA.

Thus, CA will require you to pay sales tax on the new car you just purchased. Or, the difference in sales tax if you indeed paid one.

This is on all new car sales.

How do I know this?

5 years ago I lived in Phoenix, AZ. And got a large job promotion (with signup bonus) to relocate to Cali. So what did I do? I bought a brand new 98 Cobra, and moved.

Then, had to register the car in Cali. Since it was a 'new car', they wanted the difference in sales tax (7.75% vs 5.6%). Screw that!

So I waited a year, and registered it as a used car. No problems.

:beer:

RAP66

Established Member
I had to have mine built.... If the car your buying has the sticker that says CA SMOG certified you will be okay... If not then expect to spend more $$$$ and time at the state referee qualifying the car. I think one member has done that and from what I recall it wasn't very fun and most definitely not cheap

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Definitely get your car liscensed in OR if at all possible. Then you won't have to register it in CA, and you can avoid the sales tax hit.

Then, after you have a certain number of miles on it or have owned it for a certain period of time, you can register it w/out have to pay the tax on it.

Drop by the CA DMV website for details.

ntechnic

Established Member
You're getting a lot of incorrect and potentially hazardous info here.

1) You legally must register your car in California within 20 days of bring it into the state.

2) If you want to register it in Oregon, you will need proof of residency, usually a utility bill in your name with an Oregon mailing address and an Oregon drivers license.

3) Even if you can get it registered in Oregon, be aware that any kind of police activity (parking, warning, or moving) for the car will start the clock running at the DMV. If you attempt to register it more than 20 days after such activity, you will have a tough time convincing them.

4) Lastly, you can not avoid the sales tax. Assume you can register it Oregon. Further assume you make it to the 7,500 mile mark (the minimum required under state law to become a "used" car" for out of state registratered new cars). Now when you go to register the car, DMV will need proof of sales. There are a couple of different forms they may insist upon, but basically you have to get the seller to state their name and adddress and the mileage and the price they sold the car to you for. The DMV will not accept obviously low ball pricing (no $200 'as is' one-year old car unless it's got a salvage title). The price must reflect the market value of the car for it's age, and mileage. They WILL walk outside and look at your car.

Do not get a friend to sign this paperwork for you claiming some low figure that you think you can defend (like 'I got a great deal used for only $19,995). Even if the DMV accepts this, they will report the sale to the IRS under your friend's name and SS# (the SS# is required on the forms). If he doesn't claim the $19,995 on his income tax return as income and pay the tax on it, he's going to be in a world of hurt with income tax and penalties and interest on top.

So best case, You can register it in Oregon, You get away with no tickets or pullovers for one-year and 7,500 miles. You still need to find someone to sign off as seller and take the hit on their income taxes. Let's say your mom says, she'll take the hit, and the DMV buys your story that your pristine $40,000 Cobra you managed to buy from your mom for $19,995. After all of this, you will still owe the sales tax on the $19,995 and your mom will have to pay income tax on the $19,995 as well.

Or you can just bite the bullet and pay your sales tax up front.

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by ntechnic
You're getting a lot of incorrect and potentially hazardous info here.

So best case, You can register it in Oregon, You get away with no tickets or pullovers for one-year and 7,500 miles. You still need to find someone to sign off as seller and take the hit on their income taxes. Let's say your mom says, she'll take the hit, and the DMV buys your story that your pristine $40,000 Cobra you managed to buy from your mom for $19,995. After all of this, you will still owe the sales tax on the $19,995 and your mom will have to pay income tax on the $19,995 as well.

Or you can just bite the bullet and pay your sales tax up front.

I left my car registered in AZ for a year, and over 7500miles. And was pulled over twice. One cop questioned why I was registered in AZ, but working in Cali... Just told him I did sales. It was fine.

The second cop never asked.

When I went to register the 'used' car with the Cali DMV, I was asked what I paid for the vehicle. I didn't have a recipt handy, so I made up a reasonable number. They used that number to determine what my registration fees where. Just like any car in Cali.

ntechnic

Established Member
Did you pay all cash for your car? I had a lien holder (FoMoCr) because it is a corporate lease. So the DMV required a power of attorney from the lien holder, and a form from the lien holder with the lien holders CA Tax ID number, date the lien holders position was established, mileage and out the door capital price plus monthly lease payment. All on forms in writing.

If you had a lienholder and they didn't obtain this information, you just got lucky. California is cracking down BIG time on lost sales tax revenue due to our record budget deficiet. From what I've heard, the DMV I went through in January was way tighter about records and forms then people that went through there just three months earlier.

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by ntechnic
Did you pay all cash for your car? I had a lien holder (FoMoCr) because it is a corporate lease. So the DMV required a power of attorney from the lien holder, and a form from the lien holder with the lien holders CA Tax ID number, date the lien holders position was established, mileage and out the door capital price plus monthly lease payment. All on forms in writing.

If you had a lienholder and they didn't obtain this information, you just got lucky. California is cracking down BIG time on lost sales tax revenue due to our record budget deficiet. From what I've heard, the DMV I went through in January was way tighter about records and forms then people that went through there just three months earlier.

Yes, my car was financed.

They even did a complete vehicle inspection before they'd let me register it there (done at the DMV building).

mustang81

Established Member
iam going to drive the car back to calif. and get a smog right away and pay sales tax. i dont want any problems with dmv. the salesman told me he will give me one way registration paper.

Users who are viewing this thread