Cali State Referee Question~

WhiteSaleen248

Established Member
Okay, I have to take my car in for the modified exhaust rule (too noisy, over 95dba's). You are exempt if everything is legit on your car, and its under 95 dba's. I have one small problem though, I have no EGR. If I tell the Referee to check the cars stature and he finds out I have no EGR what is the worst he can do? I need to know because he is the only know that can clear me out of this ticket without me having to swap my exhaust to stock, or paying the bail amount.

PS - Anyone know what the bail amount is for the modified exhaust?

Thanks Guys!
-Oriel

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
these guys probably get bonuses when they catch stuff....
they have to justify their job.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
no they dont get bonuses, how do i know, i work at a referee station. what is the ticket for? is it just for sound? or is it for modified emissions as well? if its just for sound we dont do a visual, we just run the sound test. if its for modified emissions, then everything under the hood has to be OEM or CARB legal.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
alot of places near my area passed your car without touching it but now the state is cracking down on them and now every smog place doesn't do that anymore...go with bdcardinals info he knows his stuff

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
if i remember, its somewhere around $600 for the first offense. rumor has it the fines go up to $10k for excessively modified emissions with a multiple offender. i know thats what it is for modified emissions. im not sure what the exact amount is for noise.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
you are going to have to pass a complete visual inspection. you have to make sure any mods you have are EO'd. the only thing i see wrong in your list is the deleted EGR valve. that will have to be on there to pass visual. im assuming you live in an enhanced area, and therefore a functional test will not be conducted on it, however it will have to be functioning in order to pass the dyno test.

also, the sound test is not done at 25feet. its done at a 45degree angle 22inches away from the vehicle. the DB meter is fully calibrated, more accurate im assuming than a radio shack one. i dont know the RPM level for a V6, but a 4.6 is usually around 4500rpm. the limit is 96.5Db. however if the ticket is just for modified emissions, then a sound tst will not be conducted.

also if you have your SRS(Airbag) light on, the referee will not test your vehicle. we are not allowed to test cars with airbag lights on. however, you cannot just pull the bulb because that will also be a fail test. the airbag light must function as per OEM(come on, then turn off after a few seconds). the only way you can pass the airbag portion is if both drivers and passengers side airbags are completely removed fro the vehicle, which is technically illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread