Cali smog failed visual on 2006 Mustang GT with Steeda CAI

BOSS324

Established Member
OK guys, I failed the visual!

Here is the deal. I bought my 2006 Mustang GT used and it already came with a Steeda CAI with tune preloaded on PCM but it didn't come with the handheld tuner.

I have an SCT X3 on my Marauder. Can I return my Marauder to stock (ive got two custom slots used for the MM) then hook up to my Mustang download my existing Steeda tune onto the tuner and install the "strategy tune" that comes preloaded on the Xcal 3? I have the stock air box for the Mustang so to pass smog here in Kali. I am just not sure when I download the "stock tune (steeda tune)" to the handheld it does just that or? When I run the existing tune with the stock air box it doesn't run.

Otherwise my less expensive option is to do the K&N setup or more expensive options is to buy a X3 for the Mustang then have a tune for the stock air box then one for the Steeda CAI.

Any help would be great.

BOSS324

Established Member
Spoke to the guys at Americanmuscle.com about the BAMA tune and it looks like the only way around this is to have the dealer re flash the PCM back to stock then buy their handheld have it preloaded to accommodate the Steeda CAI! I just LOVE CALI CARB laws!

SVTPete83

Established Member
What in the tune would not allow it to pass? If it were me, I would
Put the stock intake back on for the smog and call it good. You prob just failed the visual. They cannot tell there is a tune on your car. All the comp does is test for obd2 monitors. As long as you have enough monitors on and it passed the sniffer you're good to go

BOSS324

Established Member
Sorry it wont run with the stock air box because the tune is dialed in for the Steeda CAI. 4" tube vs 3" tube I guess volume of air flow isnt what the MAF is expecting...white smoke putt putt putt and dies.....Ive tried. So 135.00 for the PCM to be re-flashed to stock; smog it buy a BAMA X3 handheld ($379.00) and have them write a tune for my Steeda CAI.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
no, the steeda/FRPP CAI is CARB certified. if you pm me ill give you the certification number that you can give to your emissions station.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Easy fix have the dealer you bought it from smog the car for you. Dealer can't sell a car that don't pass smog.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Allen I bought the thing 2 years ago; I will see if they will cover the expenses of returning to stock.

i understand that, but if you havent done any mods an an you bought it like that from the Dealer they would of had to smog it. so take it back to them an have them smog it for you. even if you gotta pay for the smog.

BOSS324

Established Member
I sent them an email will follow up tomorrow. I already had it smogged seeing if they will recoup my out of pocket for returning to stock and the stock air box.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I sent them an email will follow up tomorrow. I already had it smogged seeing if they will recoup my out of pocket for returning to stock and the stock air box.

Well glad to here it past smog. Good luck with working with ford on the recoup.

Users who are viewing this thread