CAI not a Ford approved mod???

Crimson Fox

Established Member
I am having to fight a warranty company right now for a payout on fixing my diff. They called me yesterday and told me they are canceling my contract and not paying out the claim. They gave me 3 BS reasons.

1. There is a CAI, which is apparently not a Ford authorized modification.
2. The tires are 12% wider than stock (275/45 ZR17)
3. There was a Diablo Sport Tuner in the trunk (It hasn't actually been used yet)

Anyone else see this as a huge cop out? Also, does anyone know if the CAI is actually an approved Ford Racing modification? If it were, than arguing the other two points will be simple.
Thanks

-Nick

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
Ask them to provide proof that any of those 3 things resulted in a failure of your differential. I believe unless they can prove it caused it, they cant deny a warranty claim.

That CAI wouldnt happen to be smog legal would it?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
If there is a list of "Ford approved" modifications somewhere, I'd like to see it. Warranty companies can/will use anything against you when it comes to denying a warranty claim.

Technically they have to prove the modification caused the problem (Google magnuson moss). In reality, they can deny your claim for any reason they want to. Then it's up to you to escalate it through arbitration (if that's part of your warranty plan) or the courts.

Is this a 3rd pary warranty company and not Ford?

blinelaxd27

Established Member
yea the magnuson law is that they have to prove that whatever modifications are on your car caused ur diff to fail. if u don't have gears in there i don't see how they can cancel your claim. make them aware that you know the law and are willing to take them to court. good luck and don't leave ur tuner in the trunk!!!

Crimson Fox

Established Member
Yes. The company is called Wynn's.
I called a local Ford dealership and talked to an SVT certified guy. He said that Ford Racing makes a CAI, which means the mod is actually approved by Ford.
They aren't actually canceling the contract for anything that has to do with the repair. Every excuse they have come up with has been passive.
The CAI was installed recently... that is to say, the problem with the diff existed before the CAI was installed.
They are just being sissies (trying to keep it clean) and not manning up to their contract.

-Nick

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
They cannot deny the warrenty without proving the damage was caused by one of the modifications on the vehicle.

In addition to that, I would be asking why they are going through my trunk. For all they know that tuner was something you were holding for a friend, even citing that as a reason to not repair your diff stinks of foul buisness practice.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Crimson Fox said:
Yes. The company is called Wynn's.
I called a local Ford dealership and talked to an SVT certified guy. He said that Ford Racing makes a CAI, which means the mod is actually approved by Ford.
They aren't actually canceling the contract for anything that has to do with the repair. Every excuse they have come up with has been passive.
The CAI was installed recently... that is to say, the problem with the diff existed before the CAI was installed.
They are just being sissies (trying to keep it clean) and not manning up to their contract.

-Nick

Even if you had installed all Ford Racing parts, please read the part of your SVT owner's manual which clearly states that installation of any parts meant for racing or competition will void the warranty. I asked this specifically of my dealer and was told in no uncertain terms that putting ANYTHING on the car associated with racing or competition would cause them to invoke the abuse clause and void the warranty. Since they specifically inform you of this policy in the owner's manual, Magnusen-Moss does not apply. MM applies to when your install a non-racing but non-OEM part, and then the dealer/manufacturer claim it was the cause of a subsequent failure of an OEM component.

PS- I'm not a lawyer, but have learned a lot in the "University of Life".

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
A CAI can be for MPG, tires can be for better wet traction.

None of these things are directly associated with racing/competition.
They have to prove it.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
A CAI can be for MPG, tires can be for better wet traction.

None of these things are directly associated with racing/competition.
They have to prove it.

Sure they do... after YOU hire a lawyer for $10,000 and go through 2 years of delays and postponements. Believe me, these companies have this down to a science and have practiced lawyers on retainer.....

Wintermute

Banned
harry gilbert said:
Even if you had installed all Ford Racing parts, please read the part of your SVT owner's manual which clearly states that installation of any parts meant for racing or competition will void the warranty. I asked this specifically of my dealer and was told in no uncertain terms that putting ANYTHING on the car associated with racing or competition would cause them to invoke the abuse clause and void the warranty. Since they specifically inform you of this policy in the owner's manual, Magnusen-Moss does not apply. MM applies to when your install a non-racing but non-OEM part, and then the dealer/manufacturer claim it was the cause of a subsequent failure of an OEM component.

PS- I'm not a lawyer, but have learned a lot in the "University of Life".

Wrong. :smmon: :read:

blinelaxd27

Established Member
the warranty companies bank on ppl who don't know the law, go tell them that you do and will stand up for urself and see where it gets you and report back. they got plenty of "university of life" graduates to void warranty claims from.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
blinelaxd27 said:
the warranty companies bank on ppl who don't know the law, go tell them that you do and will stand up for urself and see where it gets you and report back. they got plenty of "university of life" graduates to void warranty claims from.

I eagerly await Crimson Fox's report on how he availed himself of legal support to resolve this issue, and what it ended up costing him. Until I hear from a number of you who successfully fought warranty denials, and had your legal costs less than the cost of the repair (or covered by the company that denied your warranty), I will stick with my "University of Life" assessment.

I also would like to hear from people who engaged a lawyer and ended up on the short and dirty end of the stick.

Or did you miss the distinction between MM protecting your use of non-OEM replacement parts NOT meant for racing, and the use of any parts designed for competition or racing? Like it or not, Ford's published warranty policy is clear, and has no relationship to MM.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Third party extended warranties are horrible. I've read through a few of their contracts, and they generally have more text telling you what's NOT covered than what is.

Have you actually read the fine print of your entire contract?
Are there exclusions for modifications/abuse?
If you have a claim denied, is there an arbitration process?

See the link below. Sound familiar? Wynns isn't going to roll over even if you take them to court...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=1550776

KYLightning02

Established Member
well my ford dealer put every after market part on my Lightning and they still let me have warranty...but they are pretty cool about everything they even covered up the nitrous when my engine was blown so they could get me a brand new one free i guess its all about the dealership but the things you have on itshouldnt void warranty i would argue like crazy with them

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
KYLightning02 said:
well my ford dealer put every after market part on my Lightning and they still let me have warranty...but they are pretty cool about everything they even covered up the nitrous when my engine was blown so they could get me a brand new one free
A friendly service department is a big help, but if a Ford Field Service Engineer came out and discovered what was going on, your warranty would be gonzo. You owe your service advisor a beer...or maybe several cases. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread