CAI, MAF & Fuel pump sizes?

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
This winter I'm building a NA 302 ci w/new AFR 165 Renegade heads, custom FTI cam and a top end of 6500rpms. I estimate it'll put down 320rwhp on a cold / dense air day.

Is a 73mm C&L MAF big enough? (w/30lb injectors) (all ready have these)
Should I go 255L or 190L fuel pump? (need to buy)
Which fender fed CAI will not be restrictive for this combo? (need to buy)

Thanks for you input.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
If you want a CAI you can grow into, look at getting an Anderson Power Pipe. They also have no bends right near the MAF, so you'll get a better sample than you will out of any "traditional" CAI system.

Second, avoid the C&L. Spend your money on a better meter, or better yet, upgrade to a Lightning or 03 cobra meter, and a quaterhorse or tweecer, and re-map the MAF yourself.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Thanks, Mapping the MAF tranfer function sure made a big difference on the OBD2 cars I've toyed with (proracer). I plan of getting quarterhorse next summer.

The C&L is that bad huh? I'd think that as long as there was clean laminar flow it would be ok. I've heard some people clock them. Do you know where they rotate the sampling tube too? (out side of bend I'd guess)

Thanks again, :burnout:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Thanks, Mapping the MAF tranfer function sure made a big difference on the OBD2 cars I've toyed with (proracer). I plan of getting quarterhorse next summer.

The C&L is that bad huh? I'd think that as long as there was clean laminar flow it would be ok. I've heard some people clock them. Do you know where they rotate the sampling tube too? (out side of bend I'd guess)

Thanks again, :burnout:

Outside of the bend typically, but every car is a little different. No matter where I moved mine I couldn't get a solid sample, my AFR would be fine up till about half throttle, then it would go crazy lean. I could fix it so it wouldn't go lean above half throttle, but then it'd be all over the place at idle/cruise.

I ended up throwing a piece of window screen in front of it and that helped tremendously, but I still couldn't get the curve licked, and it was still very sensitive to clock position. So I got the anderson power pipe and an LMAF. The difference was night and day. My curve still isn't spot on, but I have an exhaust leak now that I've been to lazy to fix so my STFT's are out of sync with one another, causing some goofy behavior.

Once I fix that, I'll finish getting my fueling done and start fussing with timing and idle control. I've just been way to busy with house stuff to even mess with it..car has been sitting in the garage for months. Plus the fact that I spent cash on getting the hood painted and it doesn't match properly which really ticked me off and made me not want to deal with the car.

Anyway, the C&L will work for you as a temporary solution, but I'd avoid them if possible.

wheelhopper

Established Member
C&L meters are junk. I was having a hard time getting my car to run correctly. I swapped the C&L for a BBK and now my car runs great.

Users who are viewing this thread