CAI and magnaflow o/r x-pipe need retune?

MaximusDecimus

Established Member
So my 04 cobra is 100 stock except for a C&L intake and a MagnaFlow o/r tru-x pipe which I just installed. Stock cat back still on the car.
It feels like I am not getting as much power but maybe I'm wrong. I didn't think I'd need a tune for just intake tube and midpipe swap but do I actually need to adjust any parameters in the tune for this? I have never done any tuning before so help on the subject is appreciated!
Thanks!

cj428mach

Established Member
You need to check it with a wideband. If the AFR is ok then no you don't need a tune although it could throw your tune way off as well. Going from a UPR CAI on the end of a stock elbow to a JLT gen 1 True cold air my car went from an 11.5 AFR to burying the AFR gauge at 10.0. It took a retune to get to it back in. I then changed from a JLT gen 1 to a gen 2 True cold air and the AFR didn't really change much at all.

MaximusDecimus

Established Member
You need to check it with a wideband. If the AFR is ok then no you don't need a tune although it could throw your tune way off as well. Going from a UPR CAI on the end of a stock elbow to a JLT gen 1 True cold air my car went from an 11.5 AFR to burying the AFR gauge at 10.0. It took a retune to get to it back in. I then changed from a JLT gen 1 to a gen 2 True cold air and the AFR didn't really change much at all.

Are you saying i need an aftermarket wideband O2 sensor and gauge? Or can i check the reading with my stock O2 sensors reading out on the predator tuner? And was that 11.5 AFR under WOT or idle? Isnt idle supposed to be about 14.6:1?

Mystic03

Established Member
You have a stock pullied car you shouldnt need a retune for that I ran the xpipe and catback with c@l and k@n no issues 420/390 you shouldnt need a tune just for that. It may richen it up a bit

cj428mach

Established Member
Are you saying i need an aftermarket wideband O2 sensor and gauge? Or can i check the reading with my stock O2 sensors reading out on the predator tuner? And was that 11.5 AFR under WOT or idle? Isnt idle supposed to be about 14.6:1?

Yes you need to have and aftermarket gauge and wideband once you start modding these cars, JMHO. The predator and narrowband O2's aren't going to cut it for what you're doing. WOT is really what matters as when you're in closed loop the ecm is going to get you to stoich unless you're way off.

Users who are viewing this thread