CAI advice needed here please!

SVT Monster

Established Member
Guys I just completed several upgrades. 2.8 upper with tensioner, LFP tune on SCT x3, JBA stainless 2.5" h-pipe, 2.5" flow master stainless. I've got a K&N filter in the factor box with air silencer removed. What CAI kit is best? Your opinions greatly appreciated! :shrug::shrug:

b_dike

Established Member
Jlt high boost, hands down best cai on the market right now. Though you'll need a retune and a new maf for it.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I vote jlt nexgen cai. Same benefits as the ones mentioned above except you keep your stock maf and avoid all the tuning headaches that everyone has with the hi boost. and for a car with your mods I doubt the hi boost would gain anything over a nexgen.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I vote jlt nexgen cai. Same benefits as the ones mentioned above except you keep your stock maf and avoid all the tuning headaches that everyone has with the hi boost. and for a car with your mods I doubt the hi boost would gain anything over a nexgen.

This. With your mods this intake will work great. If you ever need the high boost you can covert this one by ordering the high boost upgrade kit from JLT which consists of a bigger 4.5X12 S&B filter and a gasket. With the high boost kit you are going to need either an SCT 2600 or an SCT 3000 MAF. You could also run a slot style MAF but you would have to get an adapter plate that JLT or VMP makes.

Tractionless1

Established Member

+1 no reason to get a larger MAF until you upgrade to a big TS. My CAI consists of a Superchips 90* bend, OE MAF w/ MAFIA, and C&L intake tube. Car drives flawlessly while making 520/570 SAE on VMP's dyno.

SVTDice

Established Member
Maybe I'm missing something here but both the next gen CAI and high boost both have the molded in MAF. Needing a different MAF from what I have read. Otherwise I would have gone with the old MAF setup honestly.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Maybe I'm missing something here but both the next gen CAI and high boost both have the molded in MAF. Needing a different MAF from what I have read. Otherwise I would have gone with the old MAF setup honestly.

No on the next gen it's molded shut on the tube. It's originally designed to be used with your stock maf and a shorter filter. Then if you do one day need more maf or go to a ts or both, the tube has the holes already there just thin, and you drill them out then put a big filter on it and you essentially have a hi-boost.

Blueline

Established Member
My tuner is able to use the stock MAF sensor in the next gen, that's what Ill be running with my ported eaton. I figure spend the money once on an intake, as my next move is a twin screw.

SVT Monster

Established Member
My tuner is able to use the stock MAF sensor in the next gen, that's what Ill be running with my ported eaton. I figure spend the money once on an intake, as my next move is a twin screw.

SWEET Lil DSG you got there man!

Last edited:

SVT Monster

Established Member
Update: I got this evening to install the Next Gen along with a new Fluidyne dual pass heat exchanger and was let WAY down by JLT. #1 the instruction photos are a mismatched hard to follow mess of photos that look to be taken from different models of Cobras. #2 the holes that are drilled and tapped for the air meterdo not line up. If I install 1 screw then other is almost an 1/8" off!#3 there seems to be a coupling missing to connect the air filter to the air tube. Crazy photos show attaching mass air meter housing to filter??? Anyone else have these issues? BTW I'm going ahead and modify this to work on my car for now but am thoroughly displeased to say the least.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Update: I got this evening to install the Next Gen along with a new Fluidyne dual pass heat exchanger and was let WAY down by JLT. #1 the instruction photos are a mismatched hard to follow mess of photos that look to be taken from different models of Cobras. #2 the holes that are drilled and tapped for the air meterdo not line up. If I install 1 screw then other is almost an 1/8" off!#3 there seems to be a coupling missing to connect the air filter to the air tube. Crazy photos show attaching mass air meter housing to filter??? Anyone else have these issues? BTW I'm going ahead and modify this to work on my car for now but am thoroughly displeased to say the least.

That doesn't sounds good - post up some pics to show the issues. #2 - sounds like maybe it's not meant to work with the stock MAF. I know others stated it was, but sounds like your finding it isn't.

cj428mach

Established Member

You went with the true cold air right?

The air filter slips over the maf adapter and the maf is held to the intake tube with a coupler.

Are you sure you're bolting the maf housing to the adapter correctly? I don't think its a perfect square more of a rectangle so it won't just go on any way.

SVT Monster

Established Member
You went with the true cold air right?

The air filter slips over the maf adapter and the maf is held to the intake tube with a coupler.

Are you sure you're bolting the maf housing to the adapter correctly? I don't think its a perfect square more of a rectangle so it won't just go on any way.

Yes the Next Gen CAI. I must be missing parts. The tube has 2 holes where the meter should be mounted directly to the tube but the holes are just a bit too far apart. The hole is shaped correct and the meter is positioned correct. I only got 1 rubber coupling that looks to be used to mount the tube to the throttle body. That's why I figure the filter must mount directly to the tube. I'm trying to get photos uploaded now for you guys to see.

Last edited:

SVT Monster

Established Member
IMG_20140228_154254_297_zps010b0881.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread