Cage lower question

Why Try

Established Member
I have searched and I'm a little unclear. What is the best 14mm hex socket that will fit between the fan and pulley that is easily available? Broke a Craftsman 1/2 drive and Husky impact. Also what is the the torque spec on it for the re-install. 74 or the 4 step tighten to "" loosen, tighten to "" then 1/4 turn or something? My other one I just put a Metco hub on but this I want to keep stockish. Thanks

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I guess since you installed one before you know its left handed threads, I used a craftsman but when all else fells for me I go buy a Snapon.

I took a butane torch and heated up the threads on mine as there is some lock tight on it. I could not get it off till I heated it up.

bubblehead93

Established Member
I found a craftsman 14 mm hex 3/4" drive socket, then cut down the hex part of it so that only enough was left to engage into the bolt head... the hex/allen part is what tends to snap or break, put a 3/4" drive breaker bar on it with a cheater, came right off...

r/
Andy

hotcobra03

Established Member
Specs are on pulley face..

I use 9/16 allen on a short socket..

I only hand tight mine..engine does the rest..

and its alaways a pita to get loose

I dont use heat...I put pry bar in driveshaft trans yoke to hold car from moving

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Maybe this will help.
Terminator crank pulley cage.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
As others have said you really don't need to tighten it much as the blower will do it for you. I just spin it on by hand and then barely snug it with a ratchet, the blower will do the rest.

As for removing one, the best suggestion is to put a lot of tension on it and then smack it with a hammer.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have been using this tool for years now. It's done many cars without failing. It is a one piece forged tool. Expensive, but I broke 2 Snap on and one Sears and got tired of that crap.

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-S...683788&sr=8-3&keywords=14mm+allen+socket+tool

And heat is the secret to an easy removal. I take a small propane torch and heat the center of the allen until the surrounding metal is about 400 degrees. That loosens the epoxy that Ford used as locktite.

And it doesn't harm the bearing ot the rubber pucks. The heat stays in the center "bolt".

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
I just bought some made in china impact socket. Did the floor jack method. Less stress on everything that way.

Users who are viewing this thread