Cable internet! BLAH! Works on desktop, not on laptop

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
OK, so my cable interent IS working on my desktop but not my laptop. Here's what I've done trying to get it to work:

-Two system restores
-I've tried to repair the Local Area Connection
-tried going to [Run] then cmd, then type in
ipconfig

then tried

ipconfig/release
followed by
ipconfig/renew

didn't work :cryying:

I did a "clean start" (powering down everything for 2+ minues) about 3-4x

Called Charter (my cable provider) the tech guy asked me to hit the reset button on the modem, the cable light on the modem came back on, but started flashing for about 5 minutes (which it had not previously done). He said my signal wasn't constant or something, but how in the world does it work fine on the desktop then??? My brother also helped me out (he knows a lot more about computers, and he builds them as a hobby), and he couldn't fix it. So Charter.net is going to send someone out to check the connection

I also changed cable wires just to make sure mine didn't have a short or anything in it. It still doesn't work on my laptop, only on the desktop.

Here is some background information:
Everything was working fine (the internet was working fine) last night on my laptop. The last thing I did was download some codecs, since then, my internent hasn't been working. I ran a virus scan, didn't find anything. Any thoughts or info about what might be wrong?

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Aren't you using WLAN (wireless) on the laptop? Obviously if you have more than one machine connected to the cable modem you have some kind of internet sharing device, what are you running for that? PC, Router/Gateway?

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
My current "router" is me :lol:

When I want to use the desktop, I hook the modem to the desktop, and when I want to use the laptop, I switch it to the laptop :gt:

The Linksys router has been giving me problems, so I'm still not using it currently :nonono:

So I'm basically running: cable --> modem --> my laptop

Right now I have the modem hooked up to the desktop. It is annoying hooking them up back and forth, but until I can get everything fixed, that's what I've been doing. First of all, my wireless card (the first one I bought) was faulty, so Circuit City replaced it for free, secondly, my wirelss port "prongs" were bent (the little door on this stupid laptop broke off and bent agains them, so I need to get that fixed), so I'm currently just running a cable wire. Also, my laptop battery "gave up the ghost" a few weeks ago, so I'm using the power outlet and a cable wire, so it sorta defeats the purpose of wireless and a laptop :bash: :(

03DOHC

Established Member
What is a cable wire? Do you mean ethernet cable? Is this plugged into a built in ethernet port or do you have an ethernet PC Card?

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
I'm using Windows XP

Yes, I meant the ethernet cable :thumbsup:
and it plugs into the "stock" ethernet port on the side of the laptop so I guess that means I have a port.

I. . . .should. . . .have. . . .bought. . . . . A DELL! :bash:

03DOHC

Established Member
Do you get a light when you plug the laptop into the modem with the ethernet cable? And does the light go off when you unplug it?

If you do an ipconfig while plugged into the modem what ip does it say you have?

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
if I plug the ethernet cable in, a little green light flashes

the ipconfig says something until I do a "release" and then it won't renew, so it says 0.0.0.0, etc. so I think maybe it just had "left overs" the first time I try/tried

I'll work on it more tomorrow, and get some more updates :(

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Ok, so when your network is just Modem >> Laptop or Modem >> Desktop your internet works fine?

Next I would try the following to identify that the problem isn't in thte router.

Modem >> Router >> Laptop ... then ... Modem >> Router >> Desktop

If that works fine then there should be nothing wrong with your router and the problem lies specifically between one of the systems.

*I would attach a 2nd NIC to the problem system to ensure that the NIC has not gone bad.

If adding a 2nd NIC does not work then you should format the entire HD, and not just do a system restore. Doing a system restore does not usually wipe the HD clean by formatting it first.

I had this same exact problem on my network at home, or something very similar.

DSL >> Modem >> Linksys router >> (laptop, desktop)

For some reason my network was running VERRY VERRY slow with the desktop connected to the network. I discovered this after about 2 days of trouble shooting!!

Well I ended up doing a full format on the HD and reinstalled the OS. No more problems on my network anymore. I was suspecting it was a bad NIC. But I installed a 2nd NIC and the problem still persisted, so it must have been a virus or some other program on my system. I checked all network configurations and they were correct.

Seems like there has been a bug going around, because I took a handfull of calls with our customers not being able to connect to the internet via remote access. I had them go through their connection settings and hardware settings 2ice over to make sure everything is correct. For some reason they are still haveing problems. I guess they will get ghosted when they come into the office on Monday...

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
:lol1: Hahahahaha, it fixed itself! I tried it this morning, and the internet is flying at 2mb/second again! woot! :D

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
yep, I was dreading having to reinstall,
BibleWorks 5.0 (15 minutes)
Scholar's Library (takes about 1-2 hours)
MsOffice (20 minutes)
Windows :bash:
and all of the other programs

Intimidator

El Spanko!
Established Member
You should try some of these programs:

Repent 2.6
Jesus 6.9
dEvIl 6.6.6
CthlcSklGrls 6.9

Last one is my favorite.