CA Smog Question??

CobraActual

Hey guys, im pretty new to the site, i had a exhaust question thats been bugging me for some time now. I recently bought a stock '03 Terminator. im currently stationed in Hawaii but i will be returning to California in two years and taking my Cobra with me.

My plan is to build the car up and ofcourse i want a full exhaust.

JBA shortys (CARB Legal) a bolt on O/R xpipe and a flowmaster catback. My plan is whenever the car needs to be smogged,i will bolt back on the stock mid-pipe on and it should pass no problem? and that will kept that cats fresh. Now here's my question, is that a good plan, or am i an idiot? any advice would be great.

thanks

TRMI8TR

TRMIN8TR
Established Member
You are not an idiot. A lot of people do that, including myself. But keep in mind that we also have a visual inspection, meaning that if you have an after market part on your car and your smog tech is a dick, he can automatically fail your car there and not even run your car. Like long tube headers. You just have to make sure you find a cool one that don't mind as long as it passes the sniff part. Of course a couple Benjamins can go a long way too. :-D
Good luck and what part of Cal will you be moving to?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Hey guys, im pretty new to the site, i had a exhaust question thats been bugging me for some time now. I recently bought a stock '03 Terminator. im currently stationed in Hawaii but i will be returning to California in two years and taking my Cobra with me.

My plan is to build the car up and ofcourse i want a full exhaust.

JBA shortys (CARB Legal) a bolt on O/R xpipe and a flowmaster catback. My plan is whenever the car needs to be smogged,i will bolt back on the stock mid-pipe on and it should pass no problem? and that will kept that cats fresh. Now here's my question, is that a good plan, or am i an idiot? any advice would be great.

thanks

You'll need the catted pipe to pass. Also beward of the offroad pipe, if a LEO catches you with it that's a $$$ fine.

AMB

Established Member
Ca Smog

I just went through the Ca smog test!!! Your "BEST" combo, would be to use the JBA shorty headers with the Magnaflow "COMPLETE" 2.5" Ca LEGAL SYSTEM; Just as I did!!! :banana:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I just went through the Ca smog test!!! Your "BEST" combo, would be to use the JBA shorty headers with the Magnaflow "COMPLETE" 2.5" Ca LEGAL SYSTEM; Just as I did!!! :banana:

I'm actually thinking of ditching the midlengths and going to something like this. Smog time is a headache.

Users who are viewing this thread