Ca. Smog question w/stock h-pipe or catted x

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
Why does the stock h pipe have 4 cats and not 2? I am currently trying to pass CA. smog and trying to see if it is easier to try and put back my stock h pipe with 4 cats, or if I should just keep my offroad x and weld some cats on the x. Would I have to weld 4 cats or just 2 like all aftermarket catted h's and x's. All this because my stupid MIL eliminators worked for shit and my check engine comes on.

mi_l123

JDM = Just Dust ME
Established Member
H, i think you might be able to pass the sniffer, but a visual inspection you would fail.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Put the factory H on. Make sure the car and the cats are hot and you will pass. The X Pipe, you could fail the visual inspection.

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
I already went to a smog station with my current setup high flow catted x, everyhthing passed, except for the mil keeps coming up after about 20 mins of driving. Before I went to get the test done, I erased the code and the smog inspecter said that I have to drive the car for a certain amount of time milege/drive cycles because the stupid smog test computer is not reading the onboard diagnostics, computer needs to warm up? The problem is that once the computer on the car "warms up" the stupid light comes on. I am trying to bypass the whole MIL light coming on by catting my X with real cats. Unless someone knows how to trick the computer from triggering the MIL light for cats? The stupid mil eliminators didn't do shit.

Last edited:

robs1280

Cruiser-Head
Established Member
Anyone on here willing to let me borrow there stock H or I would trade straight up my SLP high flow catted x for their stock h. I payed about 400 bucks for this about 2 years ago. I am in the bay area.

G04cobra

Established Member
I have a stock H but I'm in SoCal, I'm not a pro with smog checks but couldn't you just turn off the O2 sensors on a handheld tuner to avoid using the MIL eliminators?

Users who are viewing this thread