CA smog approved exhaust system

B1/5USMC

Established Member
I am the happy of owner of a 2003 SVT Cobra. Thus far I have installed a JLT cold air intake and a Steeda 2.81" pulley. I've only had the car a month and everything else is stock. My next goal is the exhaust. I'm looking for that deep throaty I'll destroy you sound. My issue is the wonderful state of California. I need the car to pass smog no matter what I install. I'd much prefer to do headers and a exhaust. If anyone out there has had this problem as well I would love to hear what you did and if you had any SMOG related issues.

Thank you

Neal

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
JBA makes emmisions legal shorty headers with the C.A.R.B. number which will pass CA inspection. Other than that, don't be quick to take the stock catalytic convertors off the car because that is pretty much the only way you are guaranteed to pass the visual inspection portion when they look under there. I don't know of any CA legal aftermarket cats. If you are worried about staying legal, I would just keep it to the shorty header and mufflers.
The mufflers arent what will make you fail. At least up in Humboldt County. I changed the mufflers on my car there and they don't care about that. It's the headers and catalytic converters that they fail you for mostly. You have to have 4 of the restrictive OEM ones. They cost 1000's from the dealership so if you take that mid pipe off, do not go selling it because you might need it.

B1/5USMC

Established Member
JBA headers

Are the headers your referring to JBA cat4ward shorty headers? the CARB EO number is D-216-28. I've never actually seen them look under the car during the inspection. Now is where you have to forgive my ignorance I'm a car rookie. Would getting a catback exhaust a 1999-04 Mustang Cobra SLP "Loud Mouth II" (modular) system? I'd really like to change the exhaust and stay safe with smog.

Stevo151

Established Member
Are the headers your referring to JBA cat4ward shorty headers? the CARB EO number is D-216-28. I've never actually seen them look under the car during the inspection. Now is where you have to forgive my ignorance I'm a car rookie. Would getting a catback exhaust a 1999-04 Mustang Cobra SLP "Loud Mouth II" (modular) system? I'd really like to change the exhaust and stay safe with smog.

just get a cat back exhaust with a high flow catted x pipe and you'll be fine :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread