CA Shorty Headers

SD_Stang

Established Member
So in the quest to squeeze everything out of a CA car I'm looking at Shorty Headers when I do my BMR Front Package as the K Member will be out. I'm not a fan of the JBA shorties and have not seen any evidence that they are worth the money as 650$ for cermaic coated shorties is not worth it for a possible 3-5 hp or no gain.

Magnaflow had said at SEMA they were coming out with 50 State Legal Shorties but now on their site it says EXC CA for their 2011-2014 Shorties and Kooks doesn't seem to want to get a Carb EO number for their shorties otherwise I'd snatch those up in a heartbeat as they have show some decent gains.

Any options here for good shotries or is it more or less JBA or Stock?

draxxus131

Established Member
Who has told you that Kooks and Magnaflow are not 50 state legal?

But I see what you mean on their website just checked it right now, it could be a typo though.

Last edited:

SD_Stang

Established Member
I would think as it doesn't effect the cats they could swing the CARB number easier but why make a shorty if your not going to make it for use in CA from a business standpoint that is a big fail. That's just a large market they are not using.

dannydr44

Established Member
Don’t go with the JBA shorty headers, might as well stay with the stock headers. I’ve had nothing but problems with the JBA shortie headers, since the install. The driver side header is making contact with the steering shaft and the passenger side header is about 1/8 inch away from the passenger side rail. Not worth it, I may be going back to stock. JBA sent me a driver side replacement header but I’ll be paying the labor (again...) to have that header replaced, with the hope that I have more clearance. I went with the these headers, since I plan on moving back to San Diego within a year to year and half and want to be CARB compliant. What a waste of money...time and effort man.

allmotor65stang

Established Member
i would go with BBK for 50 state smog crap for us suckers living in CA.i had put a set on my car a month back and there is a differance in power you can feel with a new tune.
by the way when i race my buddy on the freeway he would pull on me kind of hard.. Now im pulling on him..Only differance between the two cars are he has 3.73 and stock headers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread