CA Registration Ticket

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
Hey guys,

I have background and a couple of questions for any CA LEOs here. Other LEOs are welcomed to chime in. I just am uncertain if this infraction differs from state to state. I apologize for the long read but felt like writing on this Monday morning.

Back story:
My engine was making rattling noises back in June/July 2013. The shop replaced my timing chain, chain guides, and tensioners thinking they had fixed the issue (mind you, I told them I believed it was a spun rod bearing). After taking it in to get it fixed, two days later, my engine blew. I was upset that I had just spent close to $1500 and yet my car was now more broken. As a result, I decided to get a new engine built, so I wouldn't have to deal with this again. My car was down from the 1st of August 2013 to last week (January 2014). I have had my car now for almost a week.

My registration was due in October 2013. I had paid it, but I needed to get the car smogged as well. Since my car was not running, I was unable to get the car smogged.

Yesterday I was pulled over for not having current registration sticker on my license plate. The CHP Officer was very nice about the whole thing and informed me it was a fix-it ticket and that I have until March X to fix it.

When I was pulled over, I informed the officer that my car was indeed down for half of a year, I just got it back and that I hadn't had a chance to smog it yet. I showed him my license, my proof of insurance, and the notice saying that I had paid my registration but that I still need to smog the car. He said that I should have had it smogged 3 months ago. I replied with yes and left it at that, since either, he didn't believe me, or maybe wasn't thinking about the months chronologically.

Questions:
I imagine it will take me several days if not longer for me to get my car smogged, and then receive the proof of registration. Now that I have a ticket for this infraction, when other LEOs are behind me, will they still light me up? Or will they see my license plate and their computer will tell me that I have already been issued a ticket for this.

Can I be issued another fix-it ticket for this infraction?

How much is this fix-it ticket going to cost me?

Is there someone I can talk to, and show paperwork that my car wasn't running during this period? Or am I just out of luck and have to pay the fine?

Thanks everyone for reading this!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Hey guys,

I have background and a couple of questions for any CA LEOs here. Other LEOs are welcomed to chime in. I just am uncertain if this infraction differs from state to state. I apologize for the long read but felt like writing on this Monday morning.

Back story:
My engine was making rattling noises back in June/July 2013. The shop replaced my timing chain, chain guides, and tensioners thinking they had fixed the issue (mind you, I told them I believed it was a spun rod bearing). After taking it in to get it fixed, two days later, my engine blew. I was upset that I had just spent close to $1500 and yet my car was now more broken. As a result, I decided to get a new engine built, so I wouldn't have to deal with this again. My car was down from the 1st of August 2013 to last week (January 2014). I have had my car now for almost a week.

My registration was due in October 2013. I had paid it, but I needed to get the car smogged as well. Since my car was not running, I was unable to get the car smogged.

Yesterday I was pulled over for not having current registration sticker on my license plate. The CHP Officer was very nice about the whole thing and informed me it was a fix-it ticket and that I have until March X to fix it.

When I was pulled over, I informed the officer that my car was indeed down for half of a year, I just got it back and that I hadn't had a chance to smog it yet. I showed him my license, my proof of insurance, and the notice saying that I had paid my registration but that I still need to smog the car. He said that I should have had it smogged 3 months ago. I replied with yes and left it at that, since either, he didn't believe me, or maybe wasn't thinking about the months chronologically.

Questions:
I imagine it will take me several days if not longer for me to get my car smogged, and then receive the proof of registration. Now that I have a ticket for this infraction, when other LEOs are behind me, will they still light me up? Or will they see my license plate and their computer will tell me that I have already been issued a ticket for this.

An LEO's computer will not tell them when or if you have already been stopped for an infraction just by running your tag. Yes, you more than likely will be stopped again, but possibly not cited.

Can I be issued another fix-it ticket for this infraction?

You can be as each different day you drive with the expired registration constitutes a new infraction. HOWEVER, most cops aren't dickish enough to do that. Carry the copy you already have in that car, and if you are stopped, show them that and explain that you are working on the issue.

How much is this fix-it ticket going to cost me?

Can't help you with this question, but usually the court will give you the info.

Is there someone I can talk to, and show paperwork that my car wasn't running during this period? Or am I just out of luck and have to pay the fine?

If you have a court date, appear on that date with all of your documentation for the time frame that the vehicle was out of service and not being driven. It will also help if you get the smog check completed ASAP after getting the infraction.

Thanks everyone for reading this!

Hope my advice helps you out some.

Last edited:

WhiteFaleen2001

Established Member
Thanks! Yes I am trying to get it smogged this week, but I am heading out of town for vacation so will do my best. Worst case, it will be done next week. Thanks again for your information!

BAMM BAMM

Veteran SVT Poster
Established Member
Every time I run a license plate, nothing comes up on my screen about whether or not someone has been recently stopped. Maybe that works for other agencies, but definitely not CHP computers.... Yes, you can get stopped. Yes, you can get another citation. Just because you have until March X to get it fixed, the "jist" of the cite is to not drive the car on public streets until you have proper registration.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
You can still be stopped. The citation essentially tells you that you should not be driving the car. The only legal way for you drive is to obtain a one trip permit from DMV. This will allow you to move the car on the road legally, and only to or from a licensed repair facility, smog shop ect.

I would recommend you stop driving the car recreationally until you get the one trip permit.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
As others have already covered, technically you are not supposed to be driving on public roads until the infraction is taken care of. As for court, make sure you do show up. Most fix-it tickets are able to be signed off by an officer, but expired registration is one of a couple that is not and has to be verified by the court. It shouldn't make a difference as for the reasoning behind not smogging it on time, all they really care about is that it gets taken care of. The fine should be about $25, but haven't checked in the last couple of years. Not sure about other court fee's that may be applied.

Users who are viewing this thread