CA license plate cover

eddyroxx

Established Member
i have a smoked plate cover on the front plates and havent had any problems with leo's, but if i put one on the back plates would that cause more attention and possibly get pulled over?

eddyroxx

Established Member
thanks for the info. i figured its like tinted windows, not legal but up to the officer if he wants to pull you over for something like that

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't put a plastic, or any other kind of cover over your plates in California.

It's just an invitation to get pulled over.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
yes:

V C Section 5201 Positioning of Plates

you are creating probable cause for you to be stopped just like having a front cover does. whether or not you are stopped will depend on the officer.

This... I stop folks for this all the time. Clear is okay with me if I can read the ENTIRE plate from at least a car or two lengths away. It's the n00bs that get that dark or the non reflective tint that bugs me. These are the same a-holes that are running red lights and putting other folks at risk by driving reckless.

Subsection F pretty much lays it down for the OP.

(f) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. A peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

(g) A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.

eddyroxx

Established Member
you can still see the plate numbers through my smoked cover even at night since the plates are reflective but those are the front plates i guess cops dont mind those as much as long as i have a front plate on im good
now im sure if i put a smoked cover on the back you could still see the numbers even at night but i worry about it since ive been pulled over for having a ball hitch on my truck that blocked the plate, i get away with my tinted windows and smoked lights so the cover would probably be pushing it lol

zinc03cobra just curious you pull over people for tinted windows? also curious what you think about licence plate frames that try to humor leo's for example "i know i know, license and registration"

Users who are viewing this thread