CA lemon law .. help advice clarifying

Fishdizzle

@DigitalExplor
Established Member
i bought a 04 lightning from the dealer with 11k miles on it still had warranty and purchased extended warranty ... when i bought it a month later or so the trans was acting up the o/d light went on and shifted all funny .. they "fixed it" by just changing the fluid now 10k miles later the trans is all messed up reverse doesnt work gears slip wont shift above 3rd on freeway smells of trans fluid ...

is there a way to get the car covered by the lemon law and have the dealer buy it back how many times does the same problem have to get fixed i just need to know alil more about it some friends were telling me to look into it so i thought id come to you guys ... the trucks never been abused since i bought it never raced launched or brought to track just used as a commuter to and from work ... i have added longtubes and a tune to it i came with some mods already on it when i bought it from the factory and they acknowledged that and honored it with the warrenty and the extended warrenty ...

just looking for some clarification and advice thanks:banana:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Your question is not one for an LEO to answer, since it is a civil matter, but there is no way you will get Ford to buy back an 04 vehicle with tranny problems.

As Larry stated, replacing the tranny would solve the problem, so there would be no need for Ford to even entertain the thought of buying back the vehicle.

Fishdizzle

@DigitalExplor
Established Member
that doesnt make sense then... That would mean the only thing that could be covered under the lemon law would be the frame? Seeing how everything else could be replaced

GreyAsp

Established Member
The "life-threatening repair" issue is a moot point here, since the lemon law only applies for the first 18 months after the original sale.

ROCMAN

Big Boned!
Established Member
The "life-threatening repair" issue is a moot point here, since the lemon law only applies for the first 18 months after the original sale.

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner! The lemon law only applies to new car purchases. Used car sales are exempt from the lemon law.

If you were to buy it new, it would have to be a major repair, and it would have had to go back to the dealer at least 3 times for the same repair. That would mean they would have had to fix the tranny 3 times and it keeps failing. Since you bought it used, you are SOL.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
The FTVB could pose an issue, seeing as it is aftermarket and transmission related. I would put the stock VB back in, bring it in and try to get the tranny replaced. Changing the oil was their first step to solving the problem, chances are they may see this as being a more serious issue and agree to replace the trans all together. Lemon laws differ slightly by state, but usually require multiple (more than 2) repairs to major parts.

Be patient and curteous with the techs, you have aftermarket parts on the truck that could easily void any warranty and leave you SOL.

Rochard

Established Member
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner! The lemon law only applies to new car purchases. Used car sales are exempt from the lemon law.

If you were to buy it new, it would have to be a major repair, and it would have had to go back to the dealer at least 3 times for the same repair. That would mean they would have had to fix the tranny 3 times and it keeps failing. Since you bought it used, you are SOL.

Yeah, he's right. Doesn't even qualify for a number of reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread