CA Emissions, Out of State Resident

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
Can California emissions laws, that is emissions laws unique to California, be enforced on a vehicle registered and emissions tested outside of California?

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Don't think so. What if you're traveling across several states? You don't have to have it tested in every state.

What unique emissions laws does California have?

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
Originally posted by NYCStangGT
Don't think so. What if you're traveling across several states? You don't have to have it tested in every state.

What unique emissions laws does California have?
Their laws are generally more strict in every sense .. more importantly their tests are thorough (computer, sniffer, visual, and now on dyno's apparently) where in other states you could be sporting long tube headers (illegal in all 50 states) and pass emissions. Also have to have "CARB #'s" for aftermarket parts ... all in all rediculous ... All I want to know is that if given a ticket, an out of state resident should be able to show up in court and beat it on the basis of being an out of state resident.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Don't know if CA views it the same way as PA, but the state sees it like this: If you operate a vehicle on PA roads, you must meet PA standards.

Example, I can stop a car for tint that is illegal in PA but legal in the state it is registered in, on the other hand, I can't stop a car for not having a front plate, even if it's registered in a state that requires front plates i.e. OH because PA does not require front plates.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
CA has a residence clause, if you move here, you have 10 days to register and smog your vehicle. Most new vehicles meet our standards anyway, so it's only a problem to older vehicles or those that have been modified. This applies even you have another residence out of the state. If you work here and live here, you are required to meet the standards. I know, it's a pain in the ass, but one look of the LA skyline on a summer evening tells you why we need to make an effort to clean things up a bit. The catch is CA will collect a healthy fee for registering out of state vehicles plus you will have to obtain a CA drivers license.

04SVT

Established Member
I don't know if you're military or not, but if you are, you are entitled to keep your car registered in your state of residence and not have anything to do with CA emissions laws. Most states have the similar rules for students who are not residents of that state as well.

Mike

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
Originally posted by 04SVT
I don't know if you're military or not, but if you are, you are entitled to keep your car registered in your state of residence and not have anything to do with CA emissions laws. Most states have the similar rules for students who are not residents of that state as well.

Mike

I am a student in CA and an Idaho resident so I guess I need to keep my car operating within the boundary of Idaho standards and nothing more... Thanks for the help guys.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by FlatZ28
I am a student in CA and an Idaho resident so I guess I need to keep my car operating within the boundary of Idaho standards and nothing more... Thanks for the help guys.

Under the CA vehicle code your not exempt if you are a student, only military employees enjoy that exemption.

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
Under the CA vehicle code your not exempt if you are a student, only military employees enjoy that exemption.
When you say only military employees enjoy "that exemption" ..

Do you mean that students are not required to register or emissions test in CA but are required to have their vehicle operating in accordance with CA emissions laws?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by FlatZ28
When you say only military employees enjoy "that exemption" ..

Do you mean that students are not required to register or emissions test in CA but are required to have their vehicle operating in accordance with CA emissions laws?

If you are a residence of the state (living in a dorm qualifies as a residence) and are employed (even part-time) you will need to seek a Ca drivers license and your vehicle would need to be registered and smogged.

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
Originally posted by mswaim
If you are a residence of the state (living in a dorm qualifies as a residence) and are employed (even part-time) you will need to seek a Ca drivers license and your vehicle would need to be registered and smogged.
With all due respect, I don't believe living in a dorm qualifies as a residency. That would mean I change residence twice every year (not gonna happen). I have a temporary PO Box .. I'm 100% sure you need a permanent address that's not a PO Box to qualify as a resident of a state.

College students do not change their state of residence unless they live within that state year round... I'm sure there's a law out there outlining this in detail.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
You may be right, afterall, I only enforced the Ca Vehicle Code for more than 30 years....................and laws change all the time, or at least some of them :)

BTW - The residency rule is explained as a simple matter of where you spend 51% of the year. If you are here 51% of the year, you are a resident whether you like it or not, unless of course you are a military employee. Registration is the same, if the vehicle is operated 51% of the time here, you need to register it.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I was under the impression the state requires an emissions test and registration on student vehicles if they are used for commuting to and from school. But I wouldn't know for sure.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread