CA cobras - EO number for your Bassani cats

CRZ8R

Established Member
FYI to CA, I just received this message via email:

The P/N 46993 is an x-pipe (w/ cats) that Bassani lists for the 1999 Mustang 4.6L application. It may also fit on your new Cobra, however, it's not smog legal unless it has an EO number. The California Air Resources Board won't even allow us to replace catalytic converters on 1995 and newer vehicles unless the cats are damaged or have over 50,000 miles on them. Manufacturers
of aftermarket cats must obtain an EO number from the Air Resources Board for their product to be listed in an approved catalog. By the way, Bassani states in their warranty that "Bassani Xhausts' high performance products incorporating catalytic converters are not street legal and are not designed
or advertised for use as stock replacement parts." I hope they're able to get an EO number for their x-pipe because I'd love to be able to install them.

The other part number 4699C4S is listed as a Street Thunder catback system for the 99-01 Cobra 4V. Because "catback" systems don't alter the emission equipment, they don't need EO numbers.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
You said that it is illegal to replace your cats unless the are damaged right. Through in a tank of avgas and run it through it will destroy the cats and therefore you will need to replace then right.

Just a thought.

mineral03

Established Member
I honestly would NOT worry about an EO number for an h/X pipe. I have never had a smog tech look under my car to check for EO numbers. All theyre gonna look for, is that it has cats, and it passes the tailpipe test. Plus, you dont have to smog you car (in CA) for 4-5 years anyway, so you have plenty of time to play!

Users who are viewing this thread