C6 Z06 vs GT500

oldmachguy

Established Member
Just grabbed this off a vette forum. FWIW. (hope it's not a repost)

MY Z06 vs MY SHELBY GT500, unbias and true

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are both my cars I have no reason to lie!!!... I bought my second C6 Z06 last monday and finally reached 500 miles today. My son and I both knew what was about to happen Ever since I sold my 06 Z and bought the shelby and got it up to 580 rwhp (intake, tune, 2.5 pulley, exhaust) we have been wondering which one would be faster. Well finally we know which one it is for sure. HERE WE GO...................................... .................................A sunny 70* beautiful day here in Charlotte, we have a lovely two lane entrance ramp that merges to I85 for 1/2 mile, and both cars are on stock tires.............we roll from 10 mph in first gear, HONK HONK HONK !!!... The Z06 latches on to the asphault like a fat kid would his last donut and is off like a rocket, meanwhile nearly 700 horses are screaming out to the left of me in a lovely high pitched whine, yet I started to see the Shelbys nose in the rear view mirror NO TRACTION, all that power is no good if you cant go anywhere!!! (we have even tried drag radials).....ADVANTAGE Z06

Race #2....ok fair enough the Shelby has almost 700 HP at the crank I can understand it having some hook up trouble...we will go from a 50 mph roll to about 110mph, (to be fair to the Shelby on a 70* day it is running at about 11.5 boost, on a 40* day its up around 14 PSI and noticably so, but then again the Z06 would run better also if it were 40*).......HONK HONK HONK!..... both engines roar to life and the Z06 pulls a car length within 1/2 a second, the Shelby holds it own and maintains the 1 car length up untill right around 100, the Z06 then started slightly pulling ahead even more........ADVANTAGE Z06

GREAT, FUN, SOLID races from both cars. We figure if we would have kept trucking to about 150 the Z06 would have ended up pulling 3 to 4 car lengths, NONETHELESS 2 incredible cars....hope all enjoyed.....the Shelby is for sale!!!

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Sounds like one driver was alittle better than the other. A 580rwhp GT500 shouldn't lose that bad to a 505fwhp Z06.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Stopsign32v said:
Sounds like one driver was alittle better than the other. A 580rwhp GT500 shouldn't lose that bad to a 505fwhp Z06.

I think that they normally do. The weight advantage makes a very large difference. If it takes around 550 RWHP in a Terminator to be side-by-side with a C6 ZO6 then it's gonna take a bit more from a GT500 because of the weight difference.

C6 Z06

Established Member
Stopsign32v said:

It sounds about right. I'll let you know stopsign. I should be getting my GT500 in the next few months. I plan on running that, before I mod it, against my lightly modded C6, then stock C6 Z06, and then my modded C6 Z06. After that, I want to mod the GT500 and run it all over again. It should be great fun!

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
this story could easily have been made up, post a vid if you want anything to be believable.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Good post, seems believable. It's not like it blew it out of the water from a roll.

Pretty close power/weight, with the GT500 having the better, ~6.63 vs.~6.95. Figure in slightly better gearing, higher redline, more grip, better weight distribution, better aero, and that could tilt it in the Z's favor.

MystictealLt1

Established Member
C6 Z06 said:
It sounds about right. I'll let you know stopsign. I should be getting my GT500 in the next few months. I plan on running that, before I mod it, against my lightly modded C6, then stock C6 Z06, and then my modded C6 Z06. After that, I want to mod the GT500 and run it all over again. It should be great fun!
jesus i think u have to many z06's,ill take one off your hands :banana: :D

Crazy01Cobra

Established Member
not bad. Sounds like the driver sucked though. I think Muscl mustangs and fas fordsdid a test where stock the gt500 ran a 12.4 stock. then with axel back exhaust, a tune and radials it ran a 11.7 which is stock corvette range. This guy also had a intake and pulley yet it lost? Yeah its the driver advantage not the corvette. But hell anything can happen. Maybe its a factory freak.

red9450

Established Member
well, we all know that the z06 is a monster no matter how you slice it. With the huge weight diff, I can see needing 120 more whp to compete. aerodynamics play a big part at over 80mph too. which in this case the shelby happens to be built like a UPS truck. lol sounds like good fun, and I would love to have one of those cars, let alone 2.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Is there really that much hp loss from the crank to the wheels on the GT500? 700bhp=580rwhp? That's a 120hp loss! Or did I just reat that wrong?

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Gringo185 said:
Is there really that much hp loss from the crank to the wheels on the GT500? 700bhp=580rwhp? That's a 120hp loss! Or did I just reat that wrong?

That seems about right... Nearly 17% drivetrain loss, right?

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Hahaha, all you guys are butthurt; if the GT500 came out on top there would not be 1 person on her claiming it could be fake.

Evil_SVT

Established Member
C6 Z06 said:

When the hell did you plan on getting a GT500!?!?! You need to adopt me!

But Let me know if you need a camera car :-D

I will slow down so I wont pass you:rolling:

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Crazy01Cobra said:
not bad. Sounds like the driver sucked though. I think Muscl mustangs and fas fordsdid a test where stock the gt500 ran a 12.4 stock. then with axel back exhaust, a tune and radials it ran a 11.7 which is stock corvette range.

until the stock z goes into the 11.3 range. that has happened by more than one driver/vette!

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Crazy01Cobra said:
not bad. Sounds like the driver sucked though. I think Muscl mustangs and fas fordsdid a test where stock the gt500 ran a 12.4 stock. then with axel back exhaust, a tune and radials it ran a 11.7 which is stock corvette range. This guy also had a intake and pulley yet it lost? Yeah its the driver advantage not the corvette. But hell anything can happen. Maybe its a factory freak.

We're not talking the "at the track" here either.
Sure, a GT500 with mods and lots of rwhp is going to be more than a challenge for a ZO6 at the strip, where the Mustang will be wearing sticky tires, and the perfectly prepped track will have VHT.

In the real world on the street however, traction is the biggest variable. And from a "street start" the GT500 is going to be at a huge disadvantage, simply because its going to take alot more power than the Z, to move all the weight around.(hence what happened in this race) ITs very hard to get 600-700 rwhp to hook on the street with 3900pounds of luggage to carry around.(which is what its going to take to run with a tuned 500rwhp ZO6).

Actually, I have no idea how you would get 600-700 rwhp to hook on the street with a 3900 pound car. Good luck on that one.. Maybe somone else who has done this can chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread