C6 vs my 03 whippled Cobra

computer_nerd

Established Member
Got a friend at work that went from a V6 04 mustang to a C6 vette with an auto (stock..no mods). Been dying to run him ever since i've had the Cobra (which has only been a few weeks) cuz he was always raggin on my M3 i had. He likes to race from digs but i convinced him (and had to explain to him how) to do a few 3 honks on the highway...

We just did a couple rolls from 45ish on the interstate headed into newport news. It was pretty ugly for the Vette.

First roll from 45 i started off in 3rd and gave him the 3 honks..i mash it and start spinning tires and had to get out of it a tad. i kept it together and ran thru 4th until about 105. had him by at least 1 1/2.

second roll i started out in 4th doing about 50 and we ran up to 120. i had close to 3 on him by then.

last roll i figured for sh!ts and giggle's i'd do a roll in 5th.. it was dead even up to about 110 and then i got out of it..

good runs..traffic was too heavy to do much else. :coolman:

Last edited:

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Good kill. I remember when I raced a 2004 Cobra with a ported Eaton, full exhaust, etc etc. Itwasnt so good for me but man it was fun to hear the cobra scream!

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I dont mean to be a dick....

Please for the love of everything holy start off in 2nd gear at 45!!! If you cant get traction in 2nd gear with less than 600hp than you either need better tires, need to roll into it a bit and not just mash it, or you are racing in too cold of weather.... From where you live im guessing it has to do with the last part.

Please dont do 5th gear runs on a cobra with stock motor seen enough 03/04 cobras blow up that way...

Lastly if you are beating a stock auto corvette by only a car and a half you should really think about changing something... I mean they dont even make over 400 hp :(

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Got a friend at work that went from a V6 04 mustang to a C6 vette with an auto (stock..no mods). Been dying to run him ever since i've had the Cobra (which has only been a few weeks) cuz he was always raggin on my M3 i had. He likes to race from digs but i convinced him (and had to explain to him how) to do a few 3 honks on the highway...

We just did a couple rolls from 45ish on the interstate headed into newport news. It was pretty ugly for the Vette.

First roll from 45 i started off in 3rd and gave him the 3 honks..i mash it and start spinning tires and had to get out of it a tad. i kept it together and ran thru 4th until about 105. had him by at least 1 1/2.

second roll i started out in 4th doing about 50 and we ran up to 120. i had close to 3 on him by then.

last roll i figured for sh!ts and giggle's i'd do a roll in 5th.. it was dead even up to about 110 and then i got out of it..

good runs..traffic was too heavy to do much else. :coolman:

dude, you're doing it wrong.

45mph, and you should be in second gear, no question (unless you have 3.73's in the rear). if you're blowing the tires off, you need drag radials and suspension mods. when my car still had the 6 speed, i could nail it in second gear at 40-45mph and just barely spin--that was my starting point for roll racing---40mph in second gear.

if you want to do a 3rd gear roll, you should start around 75mph.

never, ever do a sustained, boosted pull in 5th gear unless you want to blow your car up. its too much load on the engine, too long in boost to get the car up to speed, creates way too much heat (especially with an aftermarket blower at medium boost), and will cook your pistons in no time flat. if you're in traffic on the freeway and you want to go from 75-90mph in 6th--sure, no problem. going from 50mph in 5th gear is asking for it. you're lucky you didn't wind it out to 130+mph, or you would have likely had trouble. especially since it was your last pull, and you were likely doing these back-to-back, which builds incredible heat.

had you been in the proper gear, it should have been a slaughter. at your power level, you should be able to pull c6z-06's, at least stock ones

computer_nerd

Established Member
thanks for the 411 guys.. i appreciate it. still learning the ropes with my car. glad i didnt do any damage now that i think about it.

i ordered new tires, should be here tommorow. from now on ill start my 40 rolls at 2nd. :rockon:

thanks again!

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Good you will enjoy the car much more! If you got a little dough set aside and are new to the car (assuming you are since you mentioned m3 in original post and you said you still learning ropes) I would defiantly invest in a short shifter, IRS Brace (assuming your car is still IRS equipped), and subframe connectors if car does not already have them.

If you can get some decent traction and some seat time you will be amazed at how the twin screw performs.

What tires you go with?

zacmustang03

Established Member
good kill. I am just guessing but boosted pulls in 5th gear sounds like pulling the pin on a grenade! Jesus what were you thinking! lol just kidding. ya i guess anything past forth is for fuel mileage on the highway no pulls.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
great screenname by the way. enjoy the car, they're certainly fun from a 40-120 roll at that power level.

computer_nerd

Established Member
Good you will enjoy the car much more! If you got a little dough set aside and are new to the car (assuming you are since you mentioned m3 in original post and you said you still learning ropes) I would defiantly invest in a short shifter, IRS Brace (assuming your car is still IRS equipped), and subframe connectors if car does not already have them.

If you can get some decent traction and some seat time you will be amazed at how the twin screw performs.

What tires you go with?

yep.. i have a short shifter, IRS brace, and the subframe connectors.

i went with 315 Toyo R888s going on 17x10.5 AFS reps.

Users who are viewing this thread