c5z06 & 03 cobra driving impressions

Jack Burton

Established Member
Well, I got rid of my terminator over a year ago. I definitely miss it. I was thinking about what my next car would be. The terminator was mainly a toy, took it out here and there. This time around, I was in the hunt for a dd. I needed something that was a good all around performer and got decent fuel economy. Also, I wanted something low mileage, so I wouldn't have to worry about racking up miles. I stumbled upon a 2003 z06 with 9,300 miles so I ended up picking it up since it seemed to be a good fit for what I was looking for.

The car was bone stock when I got it and the only mod so far has been a Halltech venom intake. So far my impressions are that the z06 handles a lot better (no big news there) and I like the brakes better as well. The clutch is also a lot better for dd purposes and the active handling is nice addition.

Now on to the big issue, power. This is where the terminator are worlds apart. Granted the terminator was modded quite a bit, but I'm mainly focusing on the power delivery and the feel. The z06 is definitely quick, hell most reviews have recorded better 0-60 and 1/4 mile (stock for stock) than a GT500. So, it moves right along. The power delivery is quite deceiving. It's very smooth, so it doesn't feel like it's going as quick as it is. Also, the engine loves to rev. Terminators definitely "feel" faster due to the brutal power delivery (which I miss...and the supercharger whine). So, I guess it's kind of a preference, but I do miss the raw power delivery of the terminator.

Now, looking to the future. I'm probably going to hang onto this for a few years and not really mod it too much since I won't have it for a very long time. I have no brand loyalty, I like Fords and Chevy's...I learn more towards Ford though. I'm thinking when the time comes, I'll probably upgrade to either a 2010+ GT500 or a c6 z06. Still not sure which way I'm leaning yet. The GT500 is cheap to mod (corvette tax blows ass) but the z06 in bone stock form is an animal and it's well rounded. I also love the fuel economy you get from a vette. So, I have some thinking to do. I'd love to have both, but it's not in the cards for now.

So, I figured I'd give a little feedback on what my experience has been so far. I'm sure I haven't said anything that you guys didn't already know, just figured it would make some good reading.

:beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Its a hard choice when you really really like both.

I think though the C5Z will be a better DD, especially if you drive farther than 10min to work everyday where the gas mileage starts to play into it. Comfort, i dunno, i found my 03 Cobra to be far more comfortable than my buddies C5. I just cant stand that f-body like seating position of the Vette.

Jack Burton

Established Member
Its a hard choice when you really really like both.

I think though the C5Z will be a better DD, especially if you drive farther than 10min to work everyday where the gas mileage starts to play into it. Comfort, i dunno, i found my 03 Cobra to be far more comfortable than my buddies C5. I just cant stand that f-body like seating position of the Vette.

I currently have the c5. So far, for me it's more comfortable. But, of course that varies from person to person. The bolsters my cobra seats used to dig into my legs a bit, I don't have that prob with the z06 seats. But, as I said, that's all going to be subjective.

As far as fuel economy, I'm quite impressed. While cruising in 5th at about 55mph the computer reads at 28 to 30mpg depending on the grade of the road. Haven't had it in 6th much since it's retardedly tall and pretty much only good for 70mph and above (at a minimum).

Jack Burton

Established Member
Get a lightning! oh wait, u said good MPH and feels fast. Nevermind!

Haha. I do like lightnings a lot, I always have. The fuel economy is what would rule that out, that and I'm more partial to cars. But, I would love to have a lightning as a side vehicle.:beer:

truefiveo

Established Member
Yea the stock LSX engines feel way too smooth and refined for my likings!
I like brute power.
I would still choose the Vette as a daily driver for the smooth power.
The Cobra definitely feels like more of a fun toy to me.

If you want the best of both I would say get an 04-06 E55 W211.
I really wasn't expecting my high tech European luxury E55 to pull like a muscle car at WOT.

Last edited:

svtnewbie

IM2FST4U
Established Member
I had a c5 last year and didnt like it at all. Rode rough, and it was hard to get in and out of. I may have liked it better if it had been a six speed. Automatic=slushbox!

Ive had lots of cars and cant get away from mustangs, my cobra is my 7th lol.

DCAN87

Established Member
One of the things I like about my Z06 is how smooth the power is transferred to the wheels. These cars love high revs and once you hit over 4k it just takes off. Not to say the car is slow off the line, but it definitely seems to move more once you get into the higher revs.

"Competitive Driving" is awesome too. I love how you don't have to choose between no traction control and overbearing traction control. The fuel economy is really good from a 5.7 V8, and handling and braking are much better than any other car I've driven.

Now with that being said, my next car is probably a E63 amg. With 500+ hp n/a and mercedes-benz luxury, I don't think there's a much better car on the market. The handling and braking rival many sports cars which is very impressive too, and these cars move for a fully equipped 4 door sedan. :beer:

Jack Burton

Established Member
One of the things I like about my Z06 is how smooth the power is transferred to the wheels. These cars love high revs and once you hit over 4k it just takes off. Not to say the car is slow off the line, but it definitely seems to move more once you get into the higher revs.

"Competitive Driving" is awesome too. I love how you don't have to choose between no traction control and overbearing traction control. The fuel economy is really good from a 5.7 V8, and handling and braking are much better than any other car I've driven.

Now with that being said, my next car is probably a E63 amg. With 500+ hp n/a and mercedes-benz luxury, I don't think there's a much better car on the market. The handling and braking rival many sports cars which is very impressive too, and these cars move for a fully equipped 4 door sedan. :beer:

I must agree. It does a great job of getting the power the wheels. I think that's why it is so quick, it doesn't spin as much as it does hook and pull. I've also noticed that once it hits 4k rpm it wakens up big time.

Users who are viewing this thread