C5 kill in the wife's 98...

JSHTROD

Established Member
I was crusing back from shopping at the hilltop mall (in richmond for all you bay area folks) on richmond parkway.

As I slide past the ARCO off san pablo, I noticed a shiny new paper plate C5 convertable waiting at the light to take a left onto the parkway.

I'm doing 50, and notice him moving up on me really quick.

I watch him in my mirror, as he gets on my ass, and starts to pass. I downshift into 4th at 80mph and hammer it. I immediately stop his pull, and put maybe 2 cars on him. As he's still in it, I put it into 5th and keep the hammer down.

Of course, I stop pulling hard. And now I'm just inching away from him.

I look over and gives a thumbs up, and he just kinda stares at me with an open mouth. Looked really surprised.

I tried to go again, but he wasn't having it. He then suddenly slams on his brakes and takes the next exit.

Mods on the car are:

JLT CAI
Accufab TB
Steeda Pullies
Steeda T/A @ 12 degrees
DR Gas X pipe
CDC side exhaust
4.30's

Honestly, I was surprised to pull an aerodynamic C5 at that speed.

:banana:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Would 80mph in 4th even put you in your powerband? Seems like a high gear for that speed in a high revving car. Especially just to be able to stop the pull of a vette AND put 2 cars on it. Definately not calling BS but...I'm sure you can imagine how it's hard to believe.

ZimStang

Established Member
4.10s at 80 in 4th hed be right in his powerband... i know mines a 94, but i cruise the interstate at 80ish right around 2800 RPMs in 5th with 4.10s

JSHTROD

Established Member
poopnut2 said:
Would 80mph in 4th even put you in your powerband? Seems like a high gear for that speed in a high revving car. Especially just to be able to stop the pull of a vette AND put 2 cars on it. Definately not calling BS but...I'm sure you can imagine how it's hard to believe.

I think it put me right around 4k-4.5k. To be honest, I know it was too fast for 3rd, so I chose 4th.

I was also surprised he didn't crawl back when I shifted to 5th.

:shrug:

pottsy

Established Member
Those 4.30's are what did it for ya...it's unbelievable how much quicker these cars are with steep gears. The only C5 I've ever raced was from a dig, and it was dead even until the top of 3rd (~95) where we both let off.

Good kill! :beer:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Can a s/c'd Cobra not go into 3rd at 80mph? I can run my to 75mph in 2nd to 6500rpm n/a'd. Just curious cause it'd be a waste of my time to go to 4th gear at 80mph. I'd be eaten alive by any other V8.
JSHTROD said:
I was crusing back from shopping at the hilltop mall (in richmond for all you bay area folks) on richmond parkway.

As I slide past the ARCO off san pablo, I noticed a shiny new paper plate C5 convertable waiting at the light to take a left onto the parkway.

I'm doing 50, and notice him moving up on me really quick.

I watch him in my mirror, as he gets on my ass, and starts to pass. I downshift into 4th at 80mph and hammer it. I immediately stop his pull, and put maybe 2 cars on him. As he's still in it, I put it into 5th and keep the hammer down.

Of course, I stop pulling hard. And now I'm just inching away from him.

I look over and gives a thumbs up, and he just kinda stares at me with an open mouth. Looked really surprised.

I tried to go again, but he wasn't having it. He then suddenly slams on his brakes and takes the next exit.

Mods on the car are:

JLT CAI
Accufab TB
Steeda Pullies
Steeda T/A @ 12 degrees
DR Gas X pipe
CDC side exhaust
4.30's

Honestly, I was surprised to pull an aerodynamic C5 at that speed.

:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread