C4 Transmission speedometer sending unit

04azuremach

Loud fast and fun
Established Member
You guys will know by the end of the night if I can figure it out or not.

If not tomorrow morning. I left my laptop power cord up in baltimore at the girlfriend's house so I can't PROMISE you I'll be able to post tonight haha

04azuremach

Loud fast and fun
Established Member
Ok bad news. I can't install the sensor with the tools I have at my place. My jack doesn't go very high and I have no wooden blocks anymore. I can see where the sensor goes, but it has a plug/cover on it that I can't get off from what little angle I can get to it from underneath the cramped space. The cross member for the trans is directly in the way. Can't do it without a lift and I couldn't find what harness would plug into it, but I couldn't do much in the space I have.

I don't know when I'll be able to get it into a shop and on a lift as I have a busy week ahead. It looks like it's the right fit for the trans though.

westsiderkg

Established Member
If Speedometersolutions.com doesn’t work perhaps one of you is willing to try Kerry at Performance Automotive & Transmission Center? He explained to me that the following parts may enable the speedometer/odometer: #8ss speed sensor and #9pt pigtail and a #82 gear (see link below). In his opinion the only way to enable the reverse lights is to use a original C4 lever switch. Anyone interested in giving this a try?

Speedometer Gear, Speedometer Gears, Ford, GM, Dodge 700R4

Boobinspector

Established Member
Hey I got tools and jack that will do the trick. Just call my cell 443 534 2750. Anytime this weekend. I am the guy with the sonic blue cobra in Lexington Park . By the way my name is Mark.

westsiderkg

Established Member
Since we are on this subject do any of you guys with C4’s have mechanical speedometers installed? From what I’ve gathered it seems pretty simple to get this working. All you need is a mechanical speedo, gauge pod, speedometer cable with mount to the transmission, and the correct speedometer gear. Plug the cable, with the speedometer gear, directly into the tail shaft housing and it should work in theory, correct? Anyone does this before?

Last edited:

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
Since we are on this subject do any of you guys with C4’s have mechanical speedometers installed? From what I’ve gathered it seems pretty simple to get this working. All you need is a mechanical speedo, gauge pod, speedometer cable with mount to the transmission, and the correct speedometer gear. Plug the cable, with the speedometer gear, directly into the tail shaft housing and it should work in theory, correct? Anyone does this before?

i really dont know if that would work. and i dont really want to ad another gage in my car in your talking about machincal speedo. hopefully what he did here works

04azuremach

Loud fast and fun
Established Member
Sorry I've been gone so long. My trans is out of the car right now getting a trans brake and a little tightening done to the converter. I'll slap this thing in before I put it back in the car and let you know if it works. Should be early next week I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread