C4 trans in 04 cobra?

FEARLE5S

www.SALINASRACING.com
Established Member
I have a guy who will trade me my t-56 for a C4 just wondering how many guys out there running a c4 trans on their 03/04 cobras? how they wired it up and what was needed. according to him i would need a crossmember mod and a driveshaft or DShaft spacer.

info on the C4:
PA auto C4 transmission- 4.6 application (can be anything else with bellhousing change), reverse manual valvebody, deep pan, Cheetah shifter, 3,000 stall converter, less than 1k miles

he currently has it installed on a foxbody with a terminator motor in it.

noob in the auto department just dont know if i should do it. I DO WANT TO GO AUTO AND WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE C4(even without OD, this car is not my daily driver)

EDIT*****************
DID USE THE SEARCH BUTTON. EVERYTIME I WOULD SEARCH IT WOULD REMOVE THE C4 PART SINCE IT WAS TO SHORT. so found nothing

Last edited:

FEARLE5S

www.SALINASRACING.com
Established Member
not looking to take long distances with the car just drive it around town and drag race it. i did think about going AOD but since this car mainly sees the strip and not many miles on the street i would like to take this chance i have to trade my trans for trans.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
what gears and tire do you run?

honestly...Ive been getting so many pm's on this since I posted that thread. its a HUGE change from the t-56. i would only suggest it to serious drag racers. even if your car see's limited street duty and your running a 3.73 or more, the highway will be a nog o or annoying at 3500rpms cruising.

your losing overdrive gears, your losing lockup

the c4 also uses less fluid and combined w/ no lockup = more heat. it will deff run warmer than an AOD/AODE/4r70w trans. I mean in no way am I putting the trans down, it was great when I had it going (itll be back tomorrow!) but its deff not for everyone. I would hate to see some of you guys toss it in and hate it. its a BIG change.

I had the 4r70w for 2 years and loved that also. OD was great. could still cruise on the highway comfortably at 75mph. now Im stuck to backroads till I add some power and drop the gears down.

wiring....need a switch for the brake (if you do one, if you dont thats dumb). then you need to wire your reverse lights and neutral safety wires to your new shifter. btw there are only a few shifters that fit in the stock location. most are relocating it to the center of the console.

it uses the t-56 crossmember, just moved closer and you drill a new mounting hole in the mounting plate on the body.

can also use a FMS fox shaft if you want. not the correct length but some are using it w/ no issue's. I just ordered one the right length.

I can tell you everything you need to know if your going to do it, I just like pointing this stuff out because sometimes people dont realize. not trying to insult your intelligence if you knew.

Jefe

Established Member
Amazing! The 3rd - 4th shift sounds so short. Any cruising vids?

[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Jakes-03-Cobra-goes_187649.htm]Jake's '03 Cobra goes 10.09@141- Video[/ame]

Last edited:

FEARLE5S

www.SALINASRACING.com
Established Member
since buying a new daily driver ive put no more than 200 miles on it in 6 months. it woudl see very lil if any street use. but yes i am running a 3.73 and 28" tires at track regular 315/35-17 for street use.

MY biggest concern would be the WIRING. any wiring diagrams or tips would be extremely helpful as i am convinced i want to do this. as far as the cable for the accelerator and such does it retain the stock cable? ignition would be wired to bypass the clutch with the stock computer i would assume but as far as the N and R i would really need to look into that. as far as shifter location i would like to keep it in the stock location but its not a MUST.

i guess my biggest question on the wiring would be did u use the cobra harness for the C4 or the mach1 computer?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
since buying a new daily driver ive put no more than 200 miles on it in 6 months. it woudl see very lil if any street use. but yes i am running a 3.73 and 28" tires at track regular 315/35-17 for street use.

MY biggest concern would be the WIRING. any wiring diagrams or tips would be extremely helpful as i am convinced i want to do this. as far as the cable for the accelerator and such does it retain the stock cable? ignition would be wired to bypass the clutch with the stock computer i would assume but as far as the N and R i would really need to look into that. as far as shifter location i would like to keep it in the stock location but its not a MUST.

i guess my biggest question on the wiring would be did u use the cobra harness for the C4 or the mach1 computer?

its a manual valve body....you shift it. there is no electronics or woring involved. like I said. only wires you need to wire are

neutral safety - which is the clutch switch. nhra/ihra require it be wired in so the car doesnt start in gear

reverse lights - which is in the trans harness. find it and re-route it to the shifter you choose

all the other plugs on the harness you dont use. the t-56 speedo plug will plug into the 98 cobra speedo sensor you need.

then you need a cooler. if you get a fan thats another wire.

I dont see a trans brake listed on that c4 you mentioned. honestly, without one your not going to see the full potential of the car at the track.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
what shifter do u recommend? stock location would be best.

Ive only seen a couple that fit in the stock location.

I run the B&M Console hammer. its a rachet style which some dont like. Im not sure Im going to like it w/ the c-4 either. still have yet to make a full pass...lol

and Ive seen the quarterstick in the stock location.

you WILL be cutting / making brackets up, to the trans tunnel to make these fit also. nothing is "bolt in".

stanzione88

Established Member
Im going to put a C4 in my cobra on friday/saturday, even tho i like to drive the car at least twice a week i decided to go C4 because the car sees a lot of track. Will post how it goes later on.:banana:

FEARLE5S

www.SALINASRACING.com
Established Member
the c4 is realy small compared to the T56 i wouldnt see y not.

STANZIONE how did it go. the guy who i was going to trade backed out now im going 4r70w

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
is a retune needed when swapping to a c4? and will the c4 fit with longtubes?

no..shouldnt have to. a tune is for the motor/fuel/spark etc. reguardless of what trans is beind it, its still going to have similar load (not same as auto isnt locked up). my tune was still dead on from t-56 to 4r70w.

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
As for tune all lies on your converter. I have a tight converter in my car with my C4 and my load on the engine stayed the same. I really like my C4, its a blast to drive, mine sees street driving a decent amount in the summer months. If your into drag racing and spending alot of time at the track then like jake said, its a good trans for you. You will get faster times along with consistency.

stanzione88

Established Member
03COBRA283,
what gears do you have and how is cruising on the highway??
I like to drive my car twice a week.

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
03COBRA283,
what gears do you have and how is cruising on the highway??
I like to drive my car twice a week.

I have 3.73 with a 28 inch drag radial for the street and 28 M/T Slick at the track. I havent really taken it down the highway since I swapped the in the C4. I try to cruise at like 2500 or less, but never looked at my speed. Ill check and let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread